The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Thumbs up

We started doing One pitch tournaments on friday nights, down here. This is the 3rd week we did it and more teams are coming out. 1st we only had 4 teams, 2nd week had 6 teams, then last week we had 9 teams. While anyways here it goes.

R1 on first. BR hits the ball to F6, F6 gets the shot from the ball, can't get it, ball hits his glove falls to the ground, rolls away from him. R1 goes to second F4 goes to 2nd base, F6 final gets the ball throws to F4 on the low side F4 gets ball, but does not have possession of the ball cause it is on the ground, trying to get it in his hands. R1 gets to 2nd base, I called "SAFE". F4 starts to bellyache calling that it was a bad call, that I don't know what I'm doing. That I am the worst Umpire that he seen. The boy does not know me from jack and calling me a worst umpire so I started to laugh it off. He then starts to throw F Bombs in this little outing. The next batter his the ball in the out field, runner that was on 2nd scores, the ball comes in to F4, I button hook in, as I look to 1st to see BR touch 1st. I turn towards 2nd, he gets the ball and starts to Say "owe just turn your back I will hit you with the ball, get in my way I'm going to hit you. I brush it off, as I start to get ready for the next play, he start with the F bombs, That is it. I called time, walk to home plate and as my partner who is the coach for the team. the replies with F9 right center, so I called him in I walk up to him and told him that F4 is out of the ball game. He ask why. I told him for cursing and threating an umpire. He does not get a warning. So Coach tell him to go, you are on the clock, the more he is on the field the more time you are wasting to get back up to bat.

Man that was pretty to see him leave, then the rest of the monkeys gallery calling from the dugout. I told the coach anymore remarks from the dugout that he was next to go and so on.

I was going to give him a warning for the F bombs, but when you threaten my life for a call. You got to go!!!!!!!!!!

Have a nice day!!!! Dumbass!!!!!
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Buda, I am surprised you let it go that long.

"F BOMB" Gone, history, out of here... NO warning.

I have 3 things that will get you the door without warning.
1. Question if my parents were married when I was born
2. F Bomb and similar language or ask me to perform un-natural acts with my self
3. Bring the Lord's name into the conversation in a negative manner

By the way you can count my ejections for these 3 items on one hand in the past 20 years if you are "3 Finger Brown".

The only exception would be Men's Modified Nationals where I understand if the fans do not hear it, anything starting with "F" is ignored or there would be very few teams left.

The Bagman
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

I concur with Bagman. One time with the F-Bomb and the player is gone. (True with similar language.) With the threat, he should have been gone, and the threat reported to league officials and possibly to the police. (Depends on how genuine I felt he was.) Anytime that someone makes it personal (i.e. "you suck," "you are the worst umpire I have ever seen...etc.") and they are gone as well. You definitely let that one stay way too long.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Man,

You let this guy stay wayyyyyy toooo long. You got way
too much patience.

Lost him on first "F" word.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

The first one is probably the hardest one - we tend to take way too much before tossing somebody. They come easier after that. Experience will let you know whether your giving them enough rope to hang themselves. You don't want to take too much, but you want to make sure you don't eject too quickly.

Now, with your F4, I am not going to my partner or the player's coach to quietly let them know he's gone. When I toss that clown, I'm pointing at him and giving him a big finger ejection. I want everyone to know that clown is gone, that I tossed him. My partner will approach the coach and ask for the replacement's name - to put it on his lineup card.

Experience will also tell you when to toss somebody quietly, by going to the coach, and when to use the "big finger ejection".
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

I agree you allowed the player to stay around too long. I also agree that there are no warnings for USC.

However, I disagree about your concern with the "F-bomb" or whatever generic cover name you prefer. Unless directed toward you, your partner or the other team, it is irrelevant to me. BTW, speaking ASA, there is no rule concerning cursing of any type.

It is more likely that the magic word will be "you" or some derivitive of that word.

Let me tell you from experience that the more you let them get away with, the more you will hear. I'm not talking about the "one more word" comments (as they should never be made by an umpire) or expect umpires to look for things.

Softball myth - Not cursing keeps you in the game. WRONG!

Let the players play the game, but do not let them control it.

Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

thanks guys I really did not know how to do it. But I DO NOW!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

"F4 starts to bellyache calling that it was a bad call, that I don't know what I'm doing. That I am the worst Umpire that he seen."

I agree with the others that you waited too long; however, unlike the others, I would had him gone even sooner. (see above sentence.)

With adults I am willing to let them bit-- 'n moan for a long time. The vulgarities are not going to bother me as long as they are not loud or overly obnoxious.

BUT - the first time a derogatory comment is directed at me, they have stepped over the line. "Bad call, Blue" or "I can't believe you called that" is OK; "you suck" or "you are a lousy ump" and they are history.

WMB
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

I agree with the others that you waited too long; however, unlike the others, I would had him gone even sooner...

...the first time a derogatory comment is directed at me, they have stepped over the line. "Bad call, Blue" or "I can't believe you called that" is OK; "you suck" or "you are a lousy ump" and they are history.

WMB
Ummm....WMB, that is what I said in my post above, and I believe that I qualify as an "other."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

"Ummm....WMB, that is what I said in my post above, and I believe that I qualify as an "other.""

Ahh, yeah Scott; you are definately qualified to be an "other."

I thought your emphasis was on the F-bomb and the threat, and my point was that the player was already gone before it even reached that point. Your comment about the player calling you names was almost an afterthought.

Whatever, we all (all the "others") agree that buddha waited too long. With adult men I would rather get a reputation as being "trigger happy" than being tolerant.

I am extremely tolerent in high school games; it would take an act of war for me to eject a HS coach or player. Travel ball and rec league is nearly the same, but I don't put up with too much from those coaches. Adult leagues - BANG you're gone! If you are going to see those same players week after week you better get control early, or it is going to be a long season.

WMB
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, I am glad get help from you Older Vets. Now I learn my lesson. See you in 2005.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Do any of you guys umpire in states that have the Casual Profanity Rule. That is what it is called here in North Dakota. They instituted it here about, I'd say 12 years ago or so, effectively wiped out swearing in softball.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
In the code we use here.

"Profanity - is the use of swear or curse words and/or severe words of contempt and disrespect."

".. directing or uttering profanities at an umpire, another player or participant, and/or utters profanities whereby the spectators an hear it, after a warning has been given to both teams for the first infraction of profanity from either team."

The specified penalty for the second and subsequent offences is an out. If the offending player can be called out they are. So if the offender is a coach, for example, the next batter on his team is out. If it's the batter and the batter is put out on a play then the next batter on his team is out.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Can someone please post an all-inclusive list of words or statements not morally acceptable on or around a softball field?

Of course, no one can as the meaning of many different words vary by region. The problem with these rules like this is that they are to subjective.

Who is to determine what is acceptable and what is not? I certainly don't need some idiot on a council setting guidelines for players. Besides, you think people don't swear just because someone bans a word?

Making love, ****ing, boffing, boinking, screwing, humping, etc. all have a similar meaning. For that matter with the exception of the single word censored, I have heard them all on broadcast TV, but why is that one particular word censored and others are not?

When there is a language God, I'll worry about being the language police.

Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

I've heard the censored one on broadcast TV - both on Schindler's List and on one episode of NYPD Blue.

I agree with Mike - there is no official list of profane words, so any rule based on such a premise is faulty.