View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
First, as I said above, such rules have a place in JO ball, and as local rules. I have no position on adult ball.

Second, your story has a lot in common with the poor umpire judgment "cost us the game" stories on eteamz, except your team won ("both coaches agreed it was a bad call..." yadda, yadda...) Because some umpire somewhere applied the rule with poor judgment does not, per se, indict the rule.

Third, any team playing in an out-of-state tournament that does not know the local rules has only themselves to blame.

And, please, enough with the "imposing religion" references. It was pure and simple a judgment call on what constituted an violation of the profanity rule. You may think the judgment was poor. So may I. But, in the end, it was just simply umpire judgment.
Sorry, Tom, but I have to completely disagree here. You have never played ball in Richmond, have you?

There are a lot of goofy rules that you will never see in Championship Play even though Frank Taylor has tried to force them into ASA in the past.

I also knew who the umpire was and she later became one of Frank's personal assistants.

It was a terribly religious imposition and she (the umpire) made it clear that her call was based on her religious upbringing. I've heard the same thing elsewhere, on the field and on these boards.

There is no place for such subjective rules INCLUDING at the youth level. An umpire's belief, religious or otherwise, have no place on the field.

Do not take this as meaning that I completely ignore language not directed at me. I will talk to players and coaches whom I believe are getting a bit loud with what some may perceive as profanity. However, I will not allow my preferences or that of anyone else to become part of the game.