The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

I've been officiating high school softball for about 5 years. Didn't get a playoff game yet, but not a big deal.
So I went to see a game on Monday to see how the other qualified umps work. PU comes out with dusty shoes on, one beat up ball bag, a wristwatch on, and just before the game starts, proceeds to put his cap on backwards. OK not exactly the way I was taught but... He then sets up behind the catcher (not in the slot) and if the catcher moves outside a little he moves with her. He didn't move once to go down the first baseline to view a play during the game. There wasn't really a close call the whole game and it went smoothly. My point being...us new guys work hard for a playoff game and do all the little things and then we see this. Is this common in other states?
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gipper
I've been officiating high school softball for about 5 years. Didn't get a playoff game yet, but not a big deal.
So I went to see a game on Monday to see how the other qualified umps work. PU comes out with dusty shoes on, one beat up ball bag, a wristwatch on, and just before the game starts, proceeds to put his cap on backwards. OK not exactly the way I was taught but... He then sets up behind the catcher (not in the slot) and if the catcher moves outside a little he moves with her. He didn't move once to go down the first baseline to view a play during the game. There wasn't really a close call the whole game and it went smoothly. My point being...us new guys work hard for a playoff game and do all the little things and then we see this. Is this common in other states?
Look at it this way: Do you really want to be on the field with a guy who obviously doesn't take pride in his uniform, appearance or mechanics?

Hopefully, your efforts will be noticed and guys like this will have to start figuring out why they are the ones in the stands.

Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Our experience out in the Pacific NW is that the local umpire association of the home team in the playoff game provides the umpire crew (3-person)...with exception of the State Final Game, where the selection of specific umpire associations around the state (based on a rotation) provide an umpire for the final crew.

On a rare occassion (from a personal experience as a softball dad) I saw a crew assisgnment that shouldn't have happened...but it followed statewide high school activities association guidelines...just a weak umpire association.

That may be your situation also.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

We live in Illinois as well......Suffice it to say that in Illinois POLITICS and a computer print out rule.

For example, 3 years ago(I think???), a 60 year old + umpire who had not called a game in 5 years(but kept his certifications and was a mentor to younger umpires) received a regional and sectional assignment.

Several years ago, a umpire was the plate on the regional, sectional and state championships. Not really a problem except the same team won each of those AND he was a local umpire who called MANY regular season games(Serious conflict of interest there!!!!) There is more to this story but I can't go into that right now.

Another fact is that several state championship umpires were selected not because they called High School ball, but because they were buddies with the assigner and called alot of college ball. I'm not taking any thing away from them as they are very good umpires. They just don't meet the minimum H.S. games to be eligible for H.S. Championship Selection.

I could go on......but I better quit before I get myself into trouble.
Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Indiana

In Indiana the requirements are several. Highlighted by...10 Varsity games, Certification in softball every 2 years, IHSAA test each year, membership to a officials association that is recognized by the IHSAA and finally the coachs vote the more often than not becomes a name recognition or popularity contest. Is it a good method ? Probally not but it's the same method they use for every high school sport in Indiana and their is no way that the state is going to do one method for softball and different methods for every other sport. So you have to work continually to educate the coaches that they should be doing the voting instead of thier athletic directors and they should be payiong attention to the mechanics, appearence, and knowledge of the umpires and not if the last call of the game went against their team. Was it the right call or the wrong call. I have been lucky enough to be chosen the last 2 years to do a sectional level playoff game series. We cannot move up in the tournament until you have been doing each level 3 years. So hopefully next year I'll be selected to do a regional. Just finished this years sectional last night. Great series. No team won by more than 2 runs. 5 total games. Speaking of educating those coaches. Just last night I learned that overthows into dead ball area is only a one base award. And was he pisseed when we awarded the winning run across the plate from second after his right fielder threw the ball into the vistors dugout. Oh well...back to the rule book. Gotta get ready for next year. Hope that coach dosn't remember my name or my partners when he receives his voting sheet next spring. :-)
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

In Michigan umpires put their names and ID numbers in both coaches’ score books and coaches are required to rate the umpires in several categories after the game. At season’s end the ratings are sent by the AD to the MHSAA, which compiles a 3-year composite ranking, which will be used for the following year’s tournament selection.

Is it a good system? No, but it’s the only one we have. Obviously most coaches are not qualified to rate umpires, nor should they even be paying attention to them during the games. But if you are friendly, have a consistent strike zone, and don’t make any controversial calls, you will probably get the “warm ‘n fuzzies” even from the losing coach. But make a tech call (obstruction, LBR, IP, etc), or make a tough call late in the game that affects the game outcome and you can plan on getting a poor rating from at least one coach.

The State Selection Committee assigns umpires to a tournament site from an eligible pool. To be eligible we must have 12 varsity games and have attended the State Rules meeting. Then, we are told, supposedly umpires are assigned strictly on the basis of location and rating. So if a site needs 4 umpires, and you have a 2.0 rating, and 4 umpires in that area have ratings from 1.7 to 1.9, you are not going to get a tournament assignment. When that happens maybe you remember back to those 3.0 ratings you got after tough calls were made and you wonder if you would make that call again.

So yes, you can be a good umpire; with solid mechanics and good rules knowledge – and still be sitting in the tournament stands watching some lesser-qualified umpire working the game. Someone who has spent years getting to know the coaches, calls a consistent zone, and does not make the controversial call.

WMB
Old Thu Jun 03, 2004, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I'm afraid to respond to this thread for fear of insider political retribution!