The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

question for Mike Rowe or other authorities.... Im not a softball ump (obviously), but as I watch closely on TV (picking up thoses umping tips, yes!) all the umps seem to have the EXACT same mechanics (strike, out, etc). If I didnt know better, Id say the EXACT same person was PU every single game! Are they instructed to match their mechanics for purposes of the tournament, or are SB umps always like this? Just wondering...
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

there are specific mechanics associated with the NCAA. Uniformity is essential!! All umpires work with the same mechanics as closely as possible. Did you notice that all the umps even look alike...their uniforms are exact....no individualism there. One of the edicts is not to stand out or be different than your fellow umps.
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting!
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
While I was watching the umpires as much as the game, I thought they did a good job. In the UCLA-Stanford game, I thought the PU made several good calls at home. Now, that I've brought it up, when Cal State runner was called safe at home, then out, did they ever explain why she was out? They kept talking about the 3BU having a better angle on the ball. How about running out of the baseline to avoid a tag? That was my 1st impression, and I still believe that would have been a good call. Since I've now been blocked off the game,so other programs can air, I can't tell what's happening, so someone please let me know if they ever explained that.
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Were the umpires wearing solid black pants? At first I thought they were navy, but on a close up I saw they were the same color as his shoes. Are black pants common in NCAA?
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

They are navy...
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Hang on. I'm going to be a little self-serving here.

While the NCAA has a group of fine umpire associations out there which conduct some mechanic clinic, I would venture to say that not one of these umpires were trained exclusively by the NCAA.

These umpires most likely got their start working and being trained at the local level.

There are a few things that have become obvious that these umpires have been taught for this tournament. Some look good, some I think are suspect, but they are all doing the same thing which is the way it should be.

Anal folks like myself will notice the differences with some umpires (i.e. third strike mechanic, overhand out, even the manner of their safe calls).

I have noticed a few calls being made on the run, which is not a good thing.

BTW, I also believe an out of the basepath call would have sufficed on that call. You may have also noticed that after the tag was made, the catcher continued to pursue the runner behind the plate as if she missed the original tag. This could have easily led to the umpire's original call.

Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Mike. Good points.

Most of my training - fundamentals & advanced has come through ASA. I've also gotten some excellent training through the NCAA, but they rightly assume that you understand the fundamentals, and their training is on top of that.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

My wife even made a comment about the umpires making calls while moving. And she doesn't even watch the sport. Specifically, on a double and on a stolen base, the 2nd base umpire was still moving when the play ended, moved some more, and then made the call. I thought it was very poor considering there are 4 of them out there. I can get myself set even in a 1-umpire game.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I thought it was very poor considering there are 4 of them out there.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I only thought I saw 3 person crews. It was difficult to tell due to ESPN's poor camera coverage but it appeared to me that sometime's the 3rd base umpire came over to cover 2nd which could explain why they were moving. Any other thoughts?
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dtwsd
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I thought it was very poor considering there are 4 of them out there.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I only thought I saw 3 person crews. It was difficult to tell due to ESPN's poor camera coverage but it appeared to me that sometime's the 3rd base umpire came over to cover 2nd which could explain why they were moving. Any other thoughts?
3B umpire is supposed to be there, but you never make a call moving with the possible exception of the front end of a double play.

In the case noted, I believe the umpire was coming from the B position for the call.