View Single Post
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Hang on. I'm going to be a little self-serving here.

While the NCAA has a group of fine umpire associations out there which conduct some mechanic clinic, I would venture to say that not one of these umpires were trained exclusively by the NCAA.

These umpires most likely got their start working and being trained at the local level.

There are a few things that have become obvious that these umpires have been taught for this tournament. Some look good, some I think are suspect, but they are all doing the same thing which is the way it should be.

Anal folks like myself will notice the differences with some umpires (i.e. third strike mechanic, overhand out, even the manner of their safe calls).

I have noticed a few calls being made on the run, which is not a good thing.

BTW, I also believe an out of the basepath call would have sufficed on that call. You may have also noticed that after the tag was made, the catcher continued to pursue the runner behind the plate as if she missed the original tag. This could have easily led to the umpire's original call.