The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
that calls the strike zone for you. Last night games these parents do not understand. At this age 12-10U, there kids are not suppose to be in the box to look for a walk. I was told by my UIC to give a big strike zone. They still complain on the balls and strikes. The coach know it, oh hold on some of the coaches know it. But some coach do not understand the game.

In this age that I've been calling for the past two weeks. There is 4 coach that can coach and 2 that can coach.

1 of the 2 coach that can't coach, she makes a fool of herself, trying to argue with me from in the dugout. Aftergames she vents out and start to yapping. Does she know that she is a roll model to this girls. "I love watching her look like a fool!!!"

Her team was doing real good last night, but then they had problems on the field metal errors and lost the game. Then she starts to yapping.

Get a clue on Coaching!!!!!!!!!!
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Ed,

Take a pill and calm down, all will be OK.

I have called all age groups, both BB and SB, from 8 yr old to college level. It seems that most of the inane arguements come from the lower level age group coaches. You still have to call your game, your zone and ignore the fans comments.

As for coaches making a fool of themselves in front of the dugout, that is also gonna happen. Just be sure there aren't two fools arguing! Let the coach have his/her say, then answer concisely. If coach is questioning a judgement call, I will say something like "Coach, that is my judgement and we will not discuss that at all, this conversation is over, let's play ball". If coach still wants to argue, doesn't turn and go back to dugout, toss 'em!

You will have to realize also that as a new umpire, parents and coaches "smell you out" big time. They will try you from all different directions. Do not take it to a personal level, they feel that is the proper way to act on a ball field. You just gotta float along with it.

After some experience, you will get to where you kind of enjoy some of the junk they throw your way. I'll start a game with a familar coach and wonder, "what is he gonna argue this time". Last night, working 9/10 alone one team had Nomar Garciapara batting. The kid would get in the box, and dance around, lay the bat on the ground and such. Well he came up 2nd inning, stood in box, looked toward pitcher, pitch came in low hit kid in the foot. I sent him on to first and his coach comes out of dugout screaming "he gotta let my batter got time to got set". I asked him "do you want me to bring the batter back and let him hit again?" Coach said NO, I then told him "then shut up, and go back to your dugout" (had this guy before, wouldnt talk to all of the that sternly, but thats what he understands). He gave no more trouble the rest of the game.

The senior guys and gals in your group will have similar stories, run this stuff by them, and watch some of them in action. Remember always stay "cooler" than the one who is arguing, it gives you a HUGE edge. Study the rules, know them fully because some coaches have their own version, they will confuse you if you allow it. Mostly remember, anything new to you will take practice, umpiring is no different. Fan razzing, and coaches quibbling will always be part of the game, but as your experience grows, it will become less, and less a problem.

BTW, We have friends in Thomson we would like to visit, if ya'll have a FP tourney there and need extra blues, have you UIC get in touch with me & the mrs, I'd enjoy working a game or two with you.

Buddy
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

My experience at this age group has been that alot of "problem" coaches are coaching for the first time and the only "role models" they have are what they see on TV. They think that their job is to try to influence the umpire as opposed to teaching and coaching the players.

JEL gave you some excellent advice on how to handle these idiots - warn 'em then dump 'em!

Much the same goes for the parents, the only way they know how to behave is exactly how they behave or see fans behave at the big league games. Not much you can do but laugh at 'em and ignore them. Another line I liked to use if one of these parents approached me after the game complaining:

Wow, you seem to know an awful lot about the game, can I get your name and number to provide to my UIC? We are very short of umpires in this area and would love to have you come out and show everybody how good you are! (Say with dripping sarcasm)

Old Wed May 19, 2004, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Following this topic, I learned something very valuable last night from a parent who was wanting to call the game from the stands. Did you know that you should call a strike whenever the catcher doesn't move her glove, even if she is holding over her head? Yes indeed folks, another valuable bit of info from a very informed parent!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Ed,

Take a pill and calm down, all will be OK.

I have called all age groups, both BB and SB, from 8 yr old to college level. It seems that most of the inane arguements come from the lower level age group coaches. You still have to call your game, your zone and ignore the fans comments.

As for coaches making a fool of themselves in front of the dugout, that is also gonna happen. Just be sure there aren't two fools arguing! Let the coach have his/her say, then answer concisely. If coach is questioning a judgement call, I will say something like "Coach, that is my judgement and we will not discuss that at all, this conversation is over, let's play ball". If coach still wants to argue, doesn't turn and go back to dugout, toss 'em!

You will have to realize also that as a new umpire, parents and coaches "smell you out" big time. They will try you from all different directions. Do not take it to a personal level, they feel that is the proper way to act on a ball field. You just gotta float along with it.

After some experience, you will get to where you kind of enjoy some of the junk they throw your way. I'll start a game with a familar coach and wonder, "what is he gonna argue this time". Last night, working 9/10 alone one team had Nomar Garciapara batting. The kid would get in the box, and dance around, lay the bat on the ground and such. Well he came up 2nd inning, stood in box, looked toward pitcher, pitch came in low hit kid in the foot. I sent him on to first and his coach comes out of dugout screaming "he gotta let my batter got time to got set". I asked him "do you want me to bring the batter back and let him hit again?" Coach said NO, I then told him "then shut up, and go back to your dugout" (had this guy before, wouldnt talk to all of the that sternly, but thats what he understands). He gave no more trouble the rest of the game.

The senior guys and gals in your group will have similar stories, run this stuff by them, and watch some of them in action. Remember always stay "cooler" than the one who is arguing, it gives you a HUGE edge. Study the rules, know them fully because some coaches have their own version, they will confuse you if you allow it. Mostly remember, anything new to you will take practice, umpiring is no different. Fan razzing, and coaches quibbling will always be part of the game, but as your experience grows, it will become less, and less a problem.

BTW, We have friends in Thomson we would like to visit, if ya'll have a FP tourney there and need extra blues, have you UIC get in touch with me & the mrs, I'd enjoy working a game or two with you.

Buddy
Buddy,

The next big tourney down here in Augusta is the Geogia Games is June 12. They had a tournament out here last weekend but it was the USFA that hosted it. I will let her (UIC) know about that you want to come into town to call a game next month if you come down to visit. It will my pleasure to call a game with you.

thanks,
Ed

Old Wed May 19, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, you seem to know an awful lot about the game, can I get your name and number to provide to my UIC? We are very short of umpires in this area and would love to have you come out and show everybody how good you are! (Say with dripping sarcasm)

[/B][/QUOTE]
Andy, This is exactly what I told another coach last night. I was having to call by myself, had bases loaded, and runner at first probably was off bag. Defensive coach wanted me to appeal, I asked to who? he said well the other team saw it! He then wanted me to go find another umpire. I asked from where? he just kinda looked at some of the other fields. That is when I asked him if HE would consider umpiring. He was quick to tell me NO. He was down 6-0 at this point, and next inning up 14-6. Then he became very amicable.

Coaches can be kinda dumb at times!
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

One league I do only hires one umpire for any 10U, 12U and 14U games...well they're supposed to get two, but usually only get one, trying to save money (two umpires get 20 each, or one umpire gets 30...makes sense to you?) I had a coach give me the old "but the ball beat her" on a steal. I was out from behind the plate as far into position as I could get when I see the play. The ball was there, but there never was a tag? How do I know? Because the fielder tried to tag the runner three times!

Coach wants the appeal. I said, "if you can get him (offensive coach) to agree that she was out, I have no problem calling her out." Offensive coach just laughs and smiles. Defensive coach returns to the dugout, not to say another word the rest of the night.

ALSO....had good varsity game tonight. Had a dad in the stands who wanted every pitch to be a strike...he's on first base line, about 15 and "has a great view" of high/low, because it "looks like a strike from here."
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
that calls the strike zone for you. Last night games these parents do not understand. At this age 12-10U, there kids are not suppose to be in the box to look for a walk. I was told by my UIC to give a big strike zone. They still complain on the balls and strikes. The coach know it, oh hold on some of the coaches know it. But some coach do not understand the game.
It would be easier for me to tell you the number of games where I didnt have any fans or parents make comments about balls/strikes - none that I can think of. They are a biased judge and so long as it is within reason - a part of the game (i know many disagree with this)

Quote:
In this age that I've been calling for the past two weeks. There is 4 coach that can coach and 2 that can coach.
Really? Count yourself lucky at that age level.

Quote:
1 of the 2 coach that can't coach, she makes a fool of herself, trying to argue with me from in the dugout. Aftergames she vents out and start to yapping. Does she know that she is a roll model to this girls. "I love watching her look like a fool!!!"

Her team was doing real good last night, but then they had problems on the field metal errors and lost the game. Then she starts to yapping.

Get a clue on Coaching!!!!!!!!!!
This coach needs to be put in check. A warning will likely do it .. if that doesnt work toss her. In a rec league they get to know you - she would learn quickly. The coaches at that level have their kids on the team and and are usually fairly new to coaching. I put up with general comments for example "That was a good pitch" to her pitchers if I called a ball - if they are addressing me about my calls; they have entered a new realm. There is a "know it when you see it" line - if that coach is crossing it; its time to step up and put an end to it.