The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Snap throw from F2 on the pick-off attempt at first. R1 dives back to the base, throw is wide on the left side of base, R1 lands on the glove, can't see the ball, glove or anything. R1
beat the throw by a hair, now she is fully extended in the prone position and F3 has her hand under R1 groping for the
ball. R1 face down, who had a knee brace on, is not moving, she has reinjured her knee and in a lot of pain. Time has not been called. The coach for the defense is screaming to have her called out because she is now off the bag. After time is called, I glare back at the coach and say "Where's the sportsmanship?" and request the defense(which is the home team)
send there athletic trainer to tend to the injured player. (Two innings later, I see the "screamer" coach intercept the visitors coach at the changeover. Without even hearing what was said, I tell the visitor coach- he owed you that apology- and the visitor coach nods his head. All I got was the silent treatment and glares from the "screamer" coach for the rest of the game.) Any thoughts as to how this was handled?

[Edited by WinterWillie on May 18th, 2004 at 11:36 AM]
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 08:30am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
... I glare back at the coach and say "Where's the sportsmanship?"
(... All I got was the silent treatment and glares from the "screamer" coach for the rest of the game.) Any thoughts as to how this was handled?
Hmmmm.

He gave a glare after he got a glare.

Maybe he thought you were a little too excited, upstaged him, questioned his sporting mentality, and owed him an admission of regret for your choice of words.
mick
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Initial thoughts...

It is not good to yell (or even talk loudly) to a coach across the field. Better to have called TIME for the injury and then talk with the coach about sportsmanship 1-on-1.

I would not have made the comment to the other coach, either. It makes it seem like you are taking sides.

JMHO.
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

What's the catcher doing groping for the ball at first base?

Maybe calling time earlier would have helped. She beat the throw, was safe, and then obviously injured. Sounds like she was on top of the ball as well, and not moving off of it - you'd have called time immediately (before the groping started) if there were other runners on base, right?

I agree with other posts mentioning that we probably shouldn't be yelling at coaches across the field. We don't allow them to show us up - we should make every effort to not show them up either.
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder

Maybe calling time earlier would have helped. She beat the throw, was safe, and then obviously injured. Sounds like she was on top of the ball as well, and not moving off of it - you'd have called time immediately (before the groping started) if there were other runners on base, right?

I agree with other posts mentioning that we probably shouldn't be yelling at coaches across the field. We don't allow them to show us up - we should make every effort to not show them up either.
I agree that we should not talk to coaches unless they both are present. In this case, there was no conversation, I was looking at the ground and we walked past each other, like two ships passing in the night.

I was on top of the play at first, the coach was just behind the first base coaches box. He was probably about 20 feet away. He was close enough to know that the player was injured.
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 10:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Oops!
Was F3 catching, or groping?
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Oops!
Whatever she was doing, if it was you, you would have been arrested!
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Oops!
Whatever she was doing, if it was you, you would have been arrested!
Yeah, I hear that!
When I'm on the field with Lady's, though I try to treat them the same as men, I am always, always on guard.
mick