The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Wink

Okay guys, help me out here. I just called my first fast pitch game (midgets girls). I was PU. At this age I was told to get a little bit bigger strike zone. They do not want girls to come up to the plate and walk. They want them to learn how to hit the ball. The game is going good, until the point that the winning team is letting the losing team on base. I got the BR up to the plate with 3 balls 2 strike. The pitcher throws the ball, BR swings and tips the ball on the plate, BR then proceeds to first, as I called foul ball, she is then called out at first. The losing team coach comes to me and ask if tip was a tip ball, I said yes. I then called my partner BU, on the call.

Can you end a game on a tip ball? NO is the answer. At that point (remember I called foul ball) both teams are ready at first and third to shake hands. I called the teams coach that was winning, that it was a tip ball, so we have one pitch to throw.

So both teams return to there positions.

BR returns to the plate with a count of 3-2, the pitcher does here windup and pitch a ball right under the elbows and in the strike zone. Called 3 on there. Game over. Parents of the losing team started calling names. Can i see your glass there blue and etc.

So did I do that right, buy calling the teams back to the field?

Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

I would say so......
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I'da called them back. The game ain't over yet.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Drawing a throw

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69

Can you end a game on a tip ball?

Yes, if the catcher hangs on to it. Do you know the difference between a foul ball and a foul tip? Did the ball come to rest on the plate?
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Re: Drawing a throw

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
Quote:

Can you end a game on a tip ball?

Yes, if the catcher hangs on to it. Do you know the difference between a foul ball and a foul tip? Did the ball come to rest on the plate?
Yes I do know a difference between a foul ball and a foul tip. It was a foul tip, the BR foul tip the ball and the catcher did not catch it, it fell out of the glove hit home plate ball rolled of the plate to pitcher side of plate, BR runs cause her coach and the crowd to her to.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Re: Re: Drawing a throw

Quote:
[B
Yes I do know a difference between a foul ball and a foul tip. It was a foul tip, the BR foul tip the ball and the catcher did not catch it, it fell out of the glove hit home plate ball rolled of the plate to pitcher side of plate, BR runs cause her coach and the crowd to her to. [/B]
Well, the big difference between a foul tip and foul ball is the foul tip is a live ball. A foul ball is a dead ball. In your scenario, it became a foul ball as soon as the "foul tip" hit the ground or the catcher. If the the batter just barely hit the ball, causing it to land on the plate, it's a live ball. But since you said you had called it a foul ball, it's a foul ball forever. Just check the scorebook. It'll never change.

Just for the record, you said it was a foul tip and rolled out of the catcher's glove. Going by this, it sounds like a good call on your part.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

buddha69: "Yes I do know a difference between a foul ball and a foul tip. It was a foul tip, the BR foul tip the ball and the catcher did not catch it, it fell out of the glove hit home plate ball rolled of the plate to pitcher side of plate"

I am not sure you do know, but at least you ended up with the correct call.

A ball that is ticked by the bat, and goes directly to the catcher's glove, and is caught is a Foul Tip. A foul tip is a live ball, is called a strike, and in your case would have been the 3rd strike, ending the game.

A ball that is ticked by the bat, and is not caught - in your case it hit the glove then dropped to the ground - is a Foul Ball. Foul ball is dead ball, and, in your case, is not a strike as there were already two strikes on the batter.

Foul Tip rules confuse players, coaches, and new umpires because they focus on the action of the ball being "tipped" by the bat. It doesn't matter whether the ball is just "ticked," or hit a little harder, or hit smack in the center of the bat. You need to focus on what happens after the bat hits the ball.

If it goes directly to the catcher's glove and is caught it is a foul tip (strike); if it goes a little or lot higher and is caught by catcher or any player, it is a caught fly ball (whether in fair or foul territory) and is an out. If it touches the ground and is touched by somebody, then it is a fair or foul ball, depending on where on the field it is touched.

So forget the bat/ball action and make your call by what happens after the ball is touched by the bat.

WMB
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Drawing a throw

Quote:

Yes I do know a difference between a foul ball and a foul tip. It was a foul tip, the BR foul tip the ball and the catcher did not catch it,
Than it cannot be a foul tip! It is nothing more than a foul ball.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

my habbit is to yell, and I do yell it.. "Dead Ball" and stand there with my hands in the air. I had a similar situation my last game, but actually had steals going on, BR Running to first on a perceived dropped third strike, sliding plays at home etc, I yelled dead ball twice during it as I recall, but basically stood there through the whole series of plays with both hands in the air.. never changing position or calling anyone safe or out - it was clear to the crowd, coaches, etc and anyone paying attention to me it was a dead ball. Put everyone back and went back to 3-2. Wasnt the end of the game though - thats about the only difference.