The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question Drawing a throw

NFHS rules interpretation only
R1 on third, R2 on second, one out,team on offense down one run. Batter/runner draws a walk, the ball is in the hands of the catcher, third base coach screams at batter/runner to keep going. Batter/runner without hesitation keeps going to second base. You now have R2 and batter/runner on the second base at the same time, R1 on third base and the ball is still in the catchers hand at home plate. The offense is obviously looking to draw the throw. The catcher throws the ball to the pitcher who moves into the circle. The batter/runner returns without stopping to first base. What's the call- is there a call?
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Drawing a throw

From your discribtion of the play, I would have no call. There was no violation of the Look Back rule and no play was made on the batter-runner who continued to second base and then retreated without stopping back to first base.

Michael
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I agree- No call
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Also agree - no call. Nice try, though, coach.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Add me to the no call list.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Agree, no call on this. Just to throw a "what if" into this. Suppose the Batter/Runner remained at second once the ball was in the circle. At what point does something have to happen? Obviously can't keep two runners on the same base. If no play is made, R1 and R2 are locked to the bases because of the LBR. What if the pitcher stepped up on the pitcher's plate ready to pitch?
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Good no call.

Let the whining from the defensive coach and parents begin!
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke
Agree, no call on this. Just to throw a "what if" into this. Suppose the Batter/Runner remained at second once the ball was in the circle. At what point does something have to happen? Obviously can't keep two runners on the same base. If no play is made, R1 and R2 are locked to the bases because of the LBR. What if the pitcher stepped up on the pitcher's plate ready to pitch?
Once it is apparent no play will be made and the runner is going to remain on the base, the umpire should call TIME and direct the trailing runner back to the proper base.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Well, this is one of the more negative threads we've had in a while.

Everyone just said no!
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Everyone just said no!

YES....

There is no call!
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Well, let me throw a monkey wrench into everyone's No Call.

B-R is touching 2B, ball is in circle. LBR is in effect. NFHS 8.7.2 "Once the runner stops at a base for any reason, she will be declared out if she leaves the base."

Taking the original post literally, ball was in circle then B-R left 2B to return to 1B.

I'm calling her out.

WMB
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Way to go WMB, You just ruined this entire thread!

You are absolutely correct regarding FED ruling. Glad I learned this one before our 04 season starts up! Thanks
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
You are absolutely correct regarding FED ruling. Glad I learned this one before our 04 season starts up! Thanks
Starts up??? You haven't started yet? Wow! How long is the season where you are?

Here in Texas, we are in the third week of post season playoffs!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Actually Tom

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by Duke
Once it is apparent no play will be made and the runner is going to remain on the base, the umpire should call TIME and direct the trailing runner back to the proper base.
Since we are talking FED here, the proper ruling according to Case Play 8.3.3.B is for the umpire to wait a bit to see if anything is going to happen, and it nothing does, then to call time and call R3 our.

SamC
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Starts up??? You haven't started yet? Wow! How long is the season where you are?

Here in Texas, we are in the third week of post season playoffs!

Nope, Here in Georgia, HS Softball is played in fall, usually cranks up the first week of school. We are having a statewide GHSA AllStar game June 16th in Kennesaw, will be last seasons players. My wife may have a spot on the 6 man crew (will be volunteer, read unpaid). Baseball starts up in March, and playoffs are under way there. 6 from our association have a slot this Friday in the first round.

We march to our own beat here in Georgia.