Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
I don't believe that a ball the bounces off F4's chest is considered deflected if F4 is trying to pick it up. A ball that caroms off F3 (or, more likely, F1) and then goes to F4 would be a deflected ball. Interference in that case does require intent.
ASA POE 32
Quote:
It is interference if the batted ball ricochets off one defensive player and any player has the opportunity to make an out.
Yep. I think the wording has changed in the past couple of years. I believe it once said any otherdefensive player.

Old Thu May 06, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Wish I had my rule book and case book with me. I seem to remember that on a deflected ball, interference due to (1) ball hitting runner and (2) runner interfering with fielder had to be intentional (runner could not avoid or made no effort to avoid).

So ASA now considers a ball off F4 a deflected ball even if it's F4 who is picking it up?
Old Thu May 06, 2004, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Wish I had my rule book and case book with me. I seem to remember that on a deflected ball, interference due to (1) ball hitting runner and (2) runner interfering with fielder had to be intentional (runner could not avoid or made no effort to avoid).

So ASA now considers a ball off F4 a deflected ball even if it's F4 who is picking it up?
As others have pointed out, this is directly from this years test. The answers and citations are also from the test.