Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
Isn't the pitcher leaping?
Is your first name Ron?
Old Wed Apr 21, 2004, 10:27pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I wouldn't wear anything special for slowpitch. Just watch the catcher during warmups, and you'll get a feel of where you should put your feet when you set up. Hopefully, you'll catch the pitch with your arch than your toes. Those don't hurt at all (at least not me, I've been hit there enough to become immune!!!).
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

That's just great, now you are going to have Ron "OZZIE" Osbourn bi**hing about another pitcher leaping and it not being called
NIF
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Question

Or is the tip of her toe even with the plane of the ground?
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
And outside the 24" pitching plate?
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Speaking of working the slot, what is more embarassing that having your picture taken and put out on the World Wide Web showing you hiding behind the catcher as the person in this picture has?:

http://www.ntxe-news.com/artman/publ...le_15597.shtml

Man, forget about hiding in the slot, can you imagine what your back feels like, after a full day of calling ball in that stance? I got a muscle twinge, just looking.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Since I asked the question on leaping, I'll give my opinion. I don't think she is leaping (although I do think high-tech zoom lenses should be banned). And I wouldn't call it unless I felt she was getting a clear advantage.

Had a tournament this weekend...girl was throwing illegal...double touching, stepping, etc.I called a couple a IP's, but visiting coach asked me not to call it anymore, for the sake of keeping the game interesting. (Pitcher was a sophomore who only started pitching in the fall.) Then again, he was ahead 7-0 after the first inning...I wonder if his tune would have been different if the score was reversed?
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And I wouldn't call it unless I felt she was getting a clear advantage.
I disagree strongly with this rationale. Seeing it clearly, yes. Clear advantage, no - should not be anything we are concerned about.
Quote:
I wonder if his tune would have been different if the score was reversed?
Yup.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue

Man, forget about hiding in the slot, can you imagine what your back feels like, after a full day of calling ball in that stance? I got a muscle twinge, just looking.
Does look kinda painful, doesn't it?!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How can you support that by rule?? I see nowhere in any rule book that says anything about not calling the IP if the pitcher "is not gaining a clear advantage."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
How can you support that by rule?? I see nowhere in any rule book that says anything about not calling the IP if the pitcher "is not gaining a clear advantage."
How can I support that? It's a judgment call. If I feel she is leaping/crowhopping, doing anything to gain an advantage (which is what makes the pitch illegal) then I call it.

For example, look at that picture...is she leaping by definition? Probably, but I'm not sure where the ground would be in relationship to her foot. I was always taught, by some very good umpires, that if you weren't sure it was an illegal pitch, don't call it.

Had a game this weekend...college...where pitcher was pushing so hard off the pitching plate that she would pop here foot upwards, making the pitch a leap. But she only did it when she was trying to get "a little extra" on the pitch. Did I call it? I called it once, when it was clear to me that her foot popped upward before the pitch was released. After I called it, opposing coach wanted to called every time...but it wasn't every time...that's where the judgment comes in...we had a six inch hole in front of the pitching plate...It had to be clear to me that she was popping her foot up above the level plane of the pitching plate. MY JUDGMENT.

The minute we start looking for illegal pitches, looking for every minute detail, we kill the game.

Also had a HS coach this weekend tell me "blue she's illegal...she's stepping...but don't call it, because she only does it on the rise ball." You know what, she wasn't stepping but it looked like it.

All I'm saying is that from the superzoom of "worm-cam" the foot may be in the air, but as a former pitcher I fully know that the foot has to be at least a couple of inches up in the air or well outside the 24 inch line before even the best umpire will call it...if it's not obvious, you're guessing.

[Edited by FUBLUE on Apr 26th, 2004 at 12:07 PM]