The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Okay... I'm now our association guru on the FED "flex" rule. By this, I of course mean they said, "here's the new wording, teach the class". Now, I have to figure out the specifics. I have heard this is now in line with other organizations, but I have not done much other than NFHS in the last 4 or 5 years.

I think I understand it, but I'm wanting to double check myself. I'm about 60% through developing the PowerPoint presentation. I am hoping to have it 95% done by the end of today, Sunday, Jan 11th.

Is there anyone out there willing to be my guinea pig and look it over for mistakes? It would be especially appreciate it from those of you that do ball where this rule is already in place.

If so, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send the PowerPoint presentation your way. I will be using this to accompany a talk, but it is pretty self-explanatory on its own.

Thanks,
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

By the way, the title I had for the thread was Being "Flex"ible, but I guess the system doesn't like the quote marks.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

SCUmp,

go here and get the best two teaching aides available.
I was asked to do the same here for our Coaches.
The coaches asked for a meeting to go over the rule.

http://www.eteamz.com/sites/GCBUmpire/

Thanks Steve and Tom.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SCUmp
Okay... I'm now our association guru on the FED "flex" rule. By this, I of course mean they said, "here's the new wording, teach the class". Now, I have to figure out the specifics. I have heard this is now in line with other organizations, but I have not done much other than NFHS in the last 4 or 5 years.

I think I understand it, but I'm wanting to double check myself. I'm about 60% through developing the PowerPoint presentation. I am hoping to have it 95% done by the end of today, Sunday, Jan 11th.

Is there anyone out there willing to be my guinea pig and look it over for mistakes? It would be especially appreciate it from those of you that do ball where this rule is already in place.

If so, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will send the PowerPoint presentation your way. I will be using this to accompany a talk, but it is pretty self-explanatory on its own.

Thanks
Is there any chance I could see the PowerPoint presentation? I'm trying to get all the info I can to get a better grip on the rule. I'm a newbie to the Fed scene, so the more help the better, although I may not see the rule that much. Thanks. Email: [email protected].
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Dan, & Big John,
I'm pretty knowledgable about the DP/Flex rule and comfortable in presenting it & reviewing other presentations, along with addressing some questions - even the "what if's". Feel free to email, my email address is in my profile.

If I remember right, Big John, you're in the West Mifflin area outside of Pittsburgh. I grew up pretty close to there and am a PIAA chapter interpreter.

Steve M
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I just got back from the Texas State meeting for TASo. There was a Power Point presentation on this. They told us you could download it by Friday the 16th from this address

http//www.saumpires.com

It's almost exactly the same as the ASA's handling of the Flex player. Just don't go looking for something that's not there. Sorry, I just had to do that.

Rick

Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

In addition to the other suggested references, try this:

http://www.cactusumpires.com/

Click on the link for downloading a presentation of line up card management - even though that seems off-topic, the last half of that presentation is a pretty good discussion of the flex rule.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Dan, & Big John,
I'm pretty knowledgable about the DP/Flex rule and comfortable in presenting it & reviewing other presentations, along with addressing some questions - even the "what if's". Feel free to email, my email address is in my profile.

If I remember right, Big John, you're in the West Mifflin area outside of Pittsburgh. I grew up pretty close to there and am a PIAA chapter interpreter.

Steve M
Yep, you're right, Steve, I'm in West Mifflin. I thought I noticed your name on the annual rules meeting list on the PIAA site. You're with the Susquehanna chapter, right? I got a recommendation to join Chartiers Valley by a fellow umpire in it. Funny I don't remember his name though.

Anyway, I do have a FLEX rule question. DP is offense, FLEX is defense, but FLEX can bat for DP as long as it is in the DP's slot in the order, right? Does the FLEX need to report when they are batting for the DP? I remember something in the case book saying it's not necessary, but the DP still needs to be taken out of the game and is still allowed to re-enter. I just want to make sure. Thanks.

Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

John,
Yeah, I'm with the Susquehanna Valley chapter - we're about 70 miles north of Harrisburg.

Yes, DP is primarily offensive and Flex is defensive. I let coaches know at the pre-game that I want to know about every change they want to make - if they'll do that, I won't let them get into any trouble with substitutions. I want the Flex to report when coming in for the DP because we've had a lineup change (DP leaving the game and yes, must re-enter when/if coming back in). And that's a good catch/find, it is not required that the Flex report when coming in for the DP.

I'll also recommend Emily's lineup card presentation at cactusumpires.com

Steve M
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
I just got back from the Texas State meeting for TASo. There was a Power Point presentation on this. They told us you could download it by Friday the 16th from this address

http//www.saumpires.com

It's almost exactly the same as the ASA's handling of the Flex player. Just don't go looking for something that's not there. Sorry, I just had to do that.

Rick

There was another well presented class at the State Meeting, I thought. Nell Bennett did an excellent presentation. If you didn't understand the FLEX rule going into it, then you certainly did coming out. If you understood the rule already, then you still should have gleaned something useful out of her presentation.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Question

Why is it "almost exactly the same as the ASA's handling "? The idea was to make all books the same. Any "almost exactly" causes more trouble than a "nowhere near".
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Why is it "almost exactly the same as the ASA's handling "? The idea was to make all books the same. Any "almost exactly" causes more trouble than a "nowhere near".
From what I can tell they are the same, with just a slight tweak on the wording.

Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,

Did you meet coach/umpire Jerry Gore from our chapter.
I asked him to look you and Gary up and say Hi. Any other
good news from the TASO meet?
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

No glen, I didn't meet any of the folks from this board that I had hoped to meet. (Nor any of their agents)

Of course, one reason may be that since the State Meeting was only an hour from my house, I opted not to stay at the hotel this year.

As for good news??? Hmmm...I guess a good time was had by all. There were some informative break out meetings, and of course, I spent way too much with the vendors!

Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Thumbs up

You know fellows that when I un retire, I'll need a lot of your help to get back on board! Until then, I guess I'm sort of a 'newbie'!

Thanks in advance from your Georgia umpire friend!
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995