The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone know a good place to buy gear in the Chicago/ Northwest suburb area? What kind of chest protector do I need? Do they come in various sizes? Should it come all the way down or just cover the chest? How about shoes? Do I need steel toes for softball?
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Can't help you with your location, Chas. Some of the better ones I've run into include Honigs, Gerry Davis, Lester's Upstate Sports. These are not often the cheapest, but their price is competetive and their service is excellent. I'd suggest that you check with the folks in your local chapter - who do they deal with?

For the most part, you will not see a whole lot of speed in high school ball - especially in your first year or two working junior high, JV, and lower level varisty games. But there is nothing soft about a softball. Get regular steel-toed plate shoes. The protection is indescribably better and you will be able to put a much better polish & shine on plate shoes than anything else.

addition -
I forgot the chest protector. For high school, college, and beyond I have been well-satisfied with "The Ump" for softball (there is a hard shell baseball model too).

another addition -
For those in Pa, the only dealer for PIAA uniforms & all is Mike Shields of Purchase Official SUpplies of Pa - no relationsihp to PlusPOS that I know of. Mike has decent prices (and he pays the shipping) and also provides outstanding service. I buy a lot of stuff there every year.

[Edited by Steve M on Jan 5th, 2004 at 04:13 PM]
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
All three Sports Stores listed by Steve M have a web site. They are very prompt, and, fairly competitive. You definitely need steel toed shoes for the plate. I had a partner once get a toe nail pulled back, off a foul ball. He learned his lesson. I have a chest protector, but I just never wear it. Sometimes you get hit and it hurts like crazy, especially off foul balls, but it's just too hot down here to wear one. I'd rather get a bruise, than melt down from the heat. That's just me. I have a lot of fellow umpires who wear one all the time. Talk to the folks who you're calling with, they'll tell you a lot of good information.

Rick
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chasbo
Anyone know a good place to buy gear in the Chicago/ Northwest suburb area? What kind of chest protector do I need? Do they come in various sizes? Should it come all the way down or just cover the chest? How about shoes? Do I need steel toes for softball?

The others:

http://honigs.com

http://gerrydavis.com

http://officialgear.com

The K2 Fastpitch Elite chest protector from Honigs
is great for FP umpires.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

And yet another very good online supplier is http://www.stripesplus.com

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
I have a chest protector, but I just never wear it. Sometimes you get hit and it hurts like crazy, especially off foul balls, but it's just too hot down here to wear one. I'd rather get a bruise, than melt down from the heat. That's just me. I have a lot of fellow umpires who wear one all the time.

Rick
Just a bit of unsolicited advice....

A bruise is one thing, but a broken collarbone is another. It does not take much force to snap the collarbone and it can put you out of action for a long time. I work in Phoenix, so I know about hot also. I wear the Honigs K2..good protection for the collarbone and sternum, very lightweight and much less hot than the full chest protectors.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I call in the Houston area, so I work in the heat also. Until I found the Honig K2, i worked most of my games without a chest protector. With the K2 i always wear one now. Its very lightweight, and offers good protection.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Yeah, I have a few friends who use the Honigs K-2 and they keep pushing it to me. It's light and covers the sternum, collar bone and the upper chest. They keep trying to get me to try it and they all love it. I guess that's the way to go if you're getting for Softball. I keep saying I'm gonna get one, I just haven't gotten around to it. It'll probably take one off the collar bone and causing some pain to get me to do it.
There used to be a collar bone protector around, It was just a piece of soft pliable rubber that hung around your neck and covered the collar bone. I haven't seen those in quite a while now.

Rick

[Edited by TexBlue on Jan 5th, 2004 at 12:53 PM]
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Chasbo,

I have some gear that I'm looking to get rid of. In particular I have a K-2 protector, a pair of over the knee shinguards, and two ultra lite single bar masks, as well as assorted clickers, brushes, gray and navy ball bags, a pair of size 14 EE plate shoes, two powder blue and 1 navy shirts (sizes XL and XXL), nd a ;arge gear bag. If you ( or anyone else) is interested in any of these items, please email me and we can work out a deal.

SamC

[Edited by SamNVa on Jan 5th, 2004 at 02:05 PM]
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Chasbo,

I have some gear that I'm looking to get rid of. In particular I have a K-2 protector, a pair of over the knee shinguards, and two ultra lite single bar masks, as well as assorted clickers, brushes, gray and navy ball bags, a pair of size 14 EE plate shoes, two powder blue and 1 navy shirts (sizes XL and XXL), nd a ;arge gear bag. If you ( or anyone else) is interested in any of these items, please email me and we can work out a deal.

SamC

[Edited by SamNVa on Jan 5th, 2004 at 02:05 PM]
Are you retiring, Sam?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

14EE -
Can you mount an outboard motor on one of them and go duck hunting on the bay???
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Now guys, don't go gettin' Sam riled - he just might stomp on something. And with 14EE's it's not that far a hike no matter where he goes.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Now guys, don't go gettin' Sam riled - he just might stomp on something. And with 14EE's it's not that far a hike no matter where he goes.
And I think he was formally from Texas, so if using
his cowboy boots his stomp will leave a large mud hole.

glem
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Are you retiring, Sam?
Yes Tom, unfortunately health problems are forcing me to give up the wearin' o' th' Blue. I am planning to try to help out the local little league with training, evaluations and such like.

SamC
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
14EE -
Can you mount an outboard motor on one of them and go duck hunting on the bay???
Well Roger, I had not thought about that, but they make great snow shoes when we get those heavy snows here in NoVA.

SamC