The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 17, 2024, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

hands up

Bases loaded, ground ball to 3rd, play goes to home for the force.
R1 comes home with hands extended above her head.

How would you judge interference with the catcher (no contact) ?
- hands waving or not
- closeness to path of throw
- position of catcher
Old Wed Jun 19, 2024, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Not many people run with arms/hands extended over their heads so this could be judged as an attempt to distract F2.

Many players who slide into a base may have arms/hands raised above their heads. This may be more of a natural act to avoid getting hands caught under their bodies or fielder's bodies.

USA SB has conflicting terminology in the Rules Supplement 33.

Interference may be in the form of physical contact, verbal distraction, visual distraction, or any type of distraction that hinders a fielder in the execution of a play.

Merely running in front of a batted ball or jumping over a batted ball is not interference, even if it may be distracting to the fielder.

So how are we supposed to make heads or tails of that.

Regarding the OP, if the defense actually executes the force at home, I'd let it go. If the throw hits the runner extended arms or F2 whiffs on the catch, I might have an INT call.

Your mileage may vary.
Old Wed Jun 19, 2024, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Not many people run with arms/hands extended over their heads so this could be judged as an attempt to distract F2.

Many players who slide into a base may have arms/hands raised above their heads. This may be more of a natural act to avoid getting hands caught under their bodies or fielder's bodies.

Interference may be in the form of physical contact, verbal distraction, visual distraction, or any type of distraction that hinders a fielder in the execution of a play.

Merely running in front of a batted ball or jumping over a batted ball is not interference, even if it may be distracting to the fielder.

Regarding the OP, if the defense actually executes the force at home, I'd let it go. If the throw hits the runner extended arms or F2 whiffs on the catch, I might have an INT call.

Your mileage may vary.
If that's the rule, this seems like an easy enough call. What other reason would the base runner have to act like that? If you forbid them from doing that, are you depriving them of anything legitimate and useful in the game?

Therefore if you had any reason to suspect the action adversely affected the play, you have all the justification you'd need to call it interference.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2024, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That was the point of my question about a basis for judging INT.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2024, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe letting it go until the outcome is considered unacceptable, with the dead ball occurring at the moment of INT.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2024, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You found the one and only place where the rules or supplements are confusing or conflicting.
Old Sat Jun 22, 2024, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil4 View Post
I believe letting it go until the outcome is considered unacceptable, with the dead ball occurring at the moment of INT.
You'd have to quickly process "the moment of INT". The whole sequence may occur in the space of 6 or 7 seconds. As an official, you have time to read the play and make the call.

Making the call of INT immediately requires a VERY quick decision. Almost as soon as making the decision, the defense may have executed a successful force play at the plate. Do you still want to make an INT call after that happened?
Old Fri Jul 12, 2024, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil4 View Post
Bases loaded, ground ball to 3rd, play goes to home for the force.
R1 comes home with hands extended above her head.

How would you judge interference with the catcher (no contact) ?
- hands waving or not
- closeness to path of throw
- position of catcher
I was advised "Hands don’t have to be waving- just up in the air."