The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 11, 2022, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

baserunning question

If a runner has to return to tag up after a fly ball, but has passed another base, that runner must touch the passed base on the way back.

In an MLB (sorry) game, there was a question of what constituted "passing a base".
The issue apparently was whether if only one foot touched the ground after the base, did that count as "passed" or did it have to be both feet.

Have you ever seen or heard a rule about that, softball or the other?

I would treat it as "passed" even if only one foot.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2022, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil4 View Post
If a runner has to return to tag up after a fly ball, but has passed another base, that runner must touch the passed base on the way back.

In an MLB (sorry) game, there was a question of what constituted "passing a base".
The issue apparently was whether if only one foot touched the ground after the base, did that count as "passed" or did it have to be both feet.

Have you ever seen or heard a rule about that, softball or the other?

I would treat it as "passed" even if only one foot.
I think the issue is not whether the base was passed, but at what point the runner is considered to be "on the way back".
Old Thu Aug 11, 2022, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching that game, it was a Pittsburgh Pirate runner. The batter hit a long fly to the outfield that appeared headed into the gap between left and center field, but the fielder made a fine running catch. The runner at first had advanced to (nearly) second base when the catch was made. The runner actually stepped over second base (never touched it) and when he stopped, his lead foot was clearly between second and third base. His trailing foot (also never touching second base) never actually passed the base. When he turned to retreat to first, he picked up his trailing foot and pushed off with his lead foot. He returned to first without ever touching second base either while advancing or retreating.

I don't know the exact interpretation but I think that he was ruled to have been past second base because he had one foot on the third base side of second while the other foot was not touching the ground, so he was ruled to have passed second base but did not re-touch the base on the way back to first.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2022, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

There was two of these recently, with Philly being on defense for both of them. Close Call Sports covered them both because they are adjudicated differently.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhGIQ5BIleY

Cruz for Pittsburgh went past the 2B bag with both feet and returned to first without touching 2B at any point in the play. He was called out on appeal.

The Miami player touched 2B with his right foot. When he turned around, his right foot went past the bag, but the left foot never did. Since both feet weren't past the base, he was not required to retouch upon returning to first.

Last edited by Altor; Fri Aug 12, 2022 at 06:38am.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2022, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

The Phila-Miami was the one I saw.
My question is whether there is a specific rule anywhere about one or two feet.

I would treat it as "passed" even if only one foot; unless the other foot was touching the base.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2022, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Been a long time since my last post, but in this situation, couldn't you interpolate the rule on 1st base where if you go over it, the runner is assumed to have touched the base until appealed? It seems to make sense to me it would follow on to 2nd, 3rd and Home. I personally believe, like Cecil4, if the foot goes over or past the base on any 3 sides besides the previous base, the runner has achieved the base and must perform base running duties as specified by the rules.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2022, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBlue View Post
Been a long time since my last post, but in this situation, couldn't you interpolate the rule on 1st base where if you go over it, the runner is assumed to have touched the base until appealed?
Usually means both feet past first. Not the case here. Don't know why the call.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2022, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

What if the runner slid over the bag, touching it with some part of the upper body, and pops up to run back to 1B? Wouldn't that mean that when she started back to 1B, she was touching 2B, even if 2B was "in the way" of her line back to 1B?
Old Fri Aug 12, 2022, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Usually means both feet past first. Not the case here. Don't know why the call.
My question is whether there is a specific rule anywhere about one or two feet.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2022, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post
I don't know the exact interpretation but I think that he was ruled to have been past second base because he had one foot on the third base side of second while the other foot was not touching the ground, so he was ruled to have passed second base but did not re-touch the base on the way back to first.
The OBR interpretation is that if you cut the base on a 45 degree angle, the runner must have two feet past to be "past", or else he is still "prior" to the base and does not need to retouch on returning.

I have no idea what the corresponding interps are for any of the softball alphabets.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2022, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

In all instances (well, except the current NCAA out-of-the-box rule) of a line defining a space, be it fair/foul, live/dead, batter's box, catcher's box, pitching lane, running lane, the softball standard is one foot completely beyond that line when in contact with the ground.

While still in contact with the base, this (reasonably) shouldn't apply; like leaving early. But the one foot in contact with the ground beyond once NOT in contact with the base would be the most logical extension.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

If you don't contact the bag while advancing, but do "pass" it by some geometric understanding, then if you touch it on the way back do you have to touch it twice?
Old Tue Aug 16, 2022, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

No. The defense can only successfully appeal a missed base when it was missed on the "last time by".