The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2022, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Interference - high school

R1 on first, 2 outs. B4 hits a over the fence homer, but rounding 3rd she misses the base. Coach kinda grabs her and sends her back to third to touch the base. Ump notices this and calls coaches interference. How many, if any, runs score?
Can you site a rule reference?
Thanks in advance
Old Thu Apr 07, 2022, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
R1 on first, 2 outs. B4 hits a over the fence homer, but rounding 3rd she misses the base. Coach kinda grabs her and sends her back to third to touch the base. Ump notices this and calls coaches interference. How many, if any, runs score?
Thanks in advance
The assisted runner is out, play continues, a few references like the case for 8-6-4 to runners must run bases legally even with a dead ball.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2022, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Thanks in advance

The question about if R1's run would count would depend upon if she touched home plate before or after the infraction. This applies to when there are 2 outs.

Although this situation does not result in a dead ball and the ball remains live, the runner is out as soon as she is assisted by the coach. With less than 2 outs, it's a moot point and R1's run would count.

Cecil's point about runners must run the bases legally even in the case of a home run (dead ball).
Old Thu Apr 07, 2022, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Agree that this is a timing play despite a homerun being an award.
Rule 8-6-4, 9-1-1, 9-1-1e, Casebook 9.1.1 Situation P
Casebook 9.1.1 Situation D contradicts in the case of a base on balls award. [Edit: no contradiction. CB 9.1.1D is a timing play.]

[ETA: NFHS 8-6-4 The runner is out (when) any offensive team member, other than another runner, physically assists the runner.]

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Fri Apr 08, 2022 at 08:12pm.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2022, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
It has been a long time since I posted and I understand everything stated above. I do have a question though. It's a dead ball and, yes, she must run the bases legally. However, if it's a dead ball, a lot of things can happen that normally cannot in a live ball situation. My understanding of the post, the coach did grab the runner and tell her to go back. However, he wasn't preventing a tag by a defensive player or helping her in any type of timing issue. In this instance, it seems that telling her to go back is more of an assistance than grabbing her. Not saying I'm right, just saying this should be considered.

????
Old Fri Apr 08, 2022, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBlue View Post
It has been a long time since I posted and I understand everything stated above. I do have a question though. It's a dead ball and, yes, she must run the bases legally. However, if it's a dead ball, a lot of things can happen that normally cannot in a live ball situation. My understanding of the post, the coach did grab the runner and tell her to go back. However, he wasn't preventing a tag by a defensive player or helping her in any type of timing issue. In this instance, it seems that telling her to go back is more of an assistance than grabbing her. Not saying I'm right, just saying this should be considered.

????
Right, possibly more or at least equal help; but the rule is specifically about physical assistance and "telling her" is what coaches are suppose to do.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2022, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Casebook 9.1.1 Situation P
Casebook 9.1.1 Situation D contradicts in the case of a base on balls award.
In Situation P, we have a home run which results in a dead ball. And as stated, runners must still run the bases legally. When the batter passed R3, she was out immediately. R1 scored before the batter passed a runner, so her run counts, and the inning i over.

Not sure why you think Situation D contradicts. This involves a live ball with a runner being tagged while off a base. It is explained quite clearly to me.

This would be not much different than with a runner at third and 2 outs, the batter gets a walk. As we've seen many times, that BR might immediately try to go to second base to be caught in a rundown, hoping to prolong play long enough for the runner from third to score. Another timing play.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2022, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I misread CB 9.1.1D ("not" after a line break and under the heading of "Run Scores".) This is a timing play.
I will fix my previous post. Thank you.

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Fri Apr 08, 2022 at 09:57pm.