The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

High School Pay

Ok this isn't about how much do you get paid for HS games but instead about how do you get paid for HS games.

Here in Iowa 4A is the largest class and seems to be the hardest to get paid by. The smaller schools (3A, 2A and 1A) normally have a check waiting for you when you get there, but when is comes to the 4A schools (CIML) it take 3 to 5 weeks to get paid.

I just don't get it. Yes I understand that there is a little bit of a longer paper shuffle in the bigger schools but it should not take 5 weeks to get paid for a softball game.

How do you guys and gals in the other area of the country get paid?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Every game but 2 (and sectionals) I had checks there waiting on me. 1 of those games the AD decided to raise the rates to match some other schools in the area so he was reissuing checks for us, got it in the mail 2 days later. and the other one there was a mix up and softball checks went to the track meet. Got that one either the next day or 2 days later. And I umpired a little over 50 HS games mostly 3A to 4A schools.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Usually around every 2 weeks a check comes. Maybe 3. I've never seen 5 weeks.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Our umpire association handles the financials with the schools, and we as umpires only deal with the umpire association for pay. We can request draws once a month (twice if absolutely necessary) If we don't reqquest draws, then the money sits on the books until our two mandatory payouts - August and November.

It's really nice when you get your November check and you have that surge of holiday money to go spend.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Our umpire association handles the financials with the schools, and we as umpires only deal with the umpire association for pay. We can request draws once a month (twice if absolutely necessary) If we don't reqquest draws, then the money sits on the books until our two mandatory payouts - August and November.

It's really nice when you get your November check and you have that surge of holiday money to go spend.
So the association gets all the interest?

I don't think so! Draw, or reach for the sky.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp

I don't think so! Draw, or reach for the sky.
I agree "Its my money and I want it now."
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I agree... but in reality, the schools don't send payment to the association until about a month or two into the season (monthly billing)... so technically there's very little cash flow on the association's end right away - no money coming in from the schools regularly. Those of us who "need" the money can ask for it and there's reserve in the association's accounts to cover those few people. But those who don't "need" the money right away, and don't really care about a few bucks of interest usually just let it sit and wait until the mandatory paydates.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Well, I agree... but in reality, the schools don't send payment to the association until about a month or two into the season (monthly billing)... so technically there's very little cash flow on the association's end right away - no money coming in from the schools regularly. Those of us who "need" the money can ask for it and there's reserve in the association's accounts to cover those few people. But those who don't "need" the money right away, and don't really care about a few bucks of interest usually just let it sit and wait until the mandatory paydates.
Speaking as someone who works for a school district, trust me... The schools can cut a check whenever they need to. Yes, they like to stick to monthly billing, just because it keeps things nice and neat in their books, but arrangements can be made. Trust me.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Speaking as someone who works for a school district, trust me... The schools can cut a check whenever they need to. Yes, they like to stick to monthly billing, just because it keeps things nice and neat in their books, but arrangements can be made. Trust me.
No, you cannot be trusted with this statement as it is different all around the country. It all depends on any state, county, city, school board, etc. rules, by-laws, etc.

There may also be a difference in fiscal year calendar.

Around here, the schools cut a check at the end of the season which is paid into the association and check are written as funds become available.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I am still waiting on a check from one North TX ISD for a DH on 4/19, and for a playoff game check from another ISD for a game on 5/2
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump
I agree "Its my money and I want it now."
Oh. Great. You have been watching too many cheap lawyer commercials on TV.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
We keep a carry-over amount in the association account from the end of the season to the beginning of the next. That lets us start paying umpires within two weeks of the new season's beginning. We invoice schools twice per month and they "usually" pay in a timely manner, allowing our cash flow to be pretty much in balance throughout the season.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan
I am still waiting on a check from one North TX ISD for a DH on 4/19, and for a playoff game check from another ISD for a game on 5/2
You do realize that UIL requires payment to game officials in 45 days maximum from the date of service, don't you? Have you take the steps through TASO and UIL to report the 4/19 school?? If you take that step, get them on the offending school district, then you will make it so much nicer for the other officials that follow. The reason the ISD's think they can do this is because, for reasons I will never know, people are reluctant to report them.

Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

As the rest of you can surmise, in Texas we get paid by checks being mailed to us from the school districts we service. I received the majority of my checks within a week of the game date this season. All of them were within two weeks. This includes playoffs.

Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
You do realize that UIL requires payment to game officials in 45 days maximum from the date of service, don't you? Have you take the steps through TASO and UIL to report the 4/19 school?? If you take that step, get them on the offending school district, then you will make it so much nicer for the other officials that follow. The reason the ISD's think they can do this is because, for reasons I will never know, people are reluctant to report them.
yes I know ... one ISD had a database problem and its being worked - they owed me for 4 games and I have rcvd $ for 2 of them .... me and my partners dont know about the playoff game, but its being worked, we'll get it eventually

we actually had one coach save up all of her invoices that she rcvd and turned them all in at the end of the season!