The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 30, 2021, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Dropped 3rd strike interference or not

On a dropped 3rd strike, if the ball bounces off the ground, hits the catcher then the batter on the way to first out of the box, are they out for interference? NFHS
Old Mon Aug 30, 2021, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffdweller View Post
On a dropped 3rd strike, if the ball bounces off the ground, hits the catcher then the batter on the way to first out of the box, are they out for interference? NFHS
Unlikely - what did the batter do to warrant an INT call?
Old Mon Aug 30, 2021, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

The batter/runner was hit in the back with ball while out of the box after the ball bounced off catcher. Umpire used rule 8-2-7 as a reference but, I don't know....
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The batter/runner was hit in the back with ball while out of the box after the ball bounced off catcher. Umpire used rule 8-2-7 as a reference but, I don't know....
There is no "8.2.7".
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Page 63
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Page 63
I only have the 2019 version of USA Softball rules. Not there.

Would likely have to be 8.2.some alpha character.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2021, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

He's talking about 8.2.7 in the case book rather than the rules. That's divided into four "situations"

The only one that seemingly applies here is "D"

B3 has a count of 3-2 with no runners on base and two outs. On the next pitch B3 swings and misses. The ball bounces off F2's shin guard and lands in front of home plate. As F2 moves out to field the ball, (a) b3 runs into her and knocks her down or (b) B3 unintentionally kicks the ball. RULING: In both (a) and (b), interference; the umpire calls "dead ball" and rules the batter-runner out.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2021, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingron View Post
He's talking about 8.2.7 in the case book rather than the rules. That's divided into four "situations"

The only one that seemingly applies here is "D"

B3 has a count of 3-2 with no runners on base and two outs. On the next pitch B3 swings and misses. The ball bounces off F2's shin guard and lands in front of home plate. As F2 moves out to field the ball, (a) b3 runs into her and knocks her down or (b) B3 unintentionally kicks the ball. RULING: In both (a) and (b), interference; the umpire calls "dead ball" and rules the batter-runner out.
Thanx for clarification - I mixed up NFHS & USA on the references.

Still, the question remains from the OP: what did the BR do to warrant an INT call?
Old Sat Sep 18, 2021, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Thanx for clarification - I mixed up NFHS & USA on the references.

Still, the question remains from the OP: what did the BR do to warrant an INT call?
NFHS Situation 8.2.7 Situation D (b) unintentionally kicks the ball.

Ruling: out for interference.

I would agree the ruling is interference, but I also agree with your thinking about what they did to warrant the interference call. To me this should be an umpires judgment call regarding if the batter runner intentionally interfered. I don't like penalizing a player because of a bad bounce on a bad play by the opponent.
Old Mon Sep 20, 2021, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
To me this should be an umpires judgment call regarding if the batter runner intentionally interfered. I don't like penalizing a player because of a bad bounce on a bad play by the opponent.
If the BR did ANYthing (intentional or unintentional) that could be deemed INT, then call it.

The OP states a pitched ball hit the ground, bounced off F2, and then hit the BR. I don't see any justification for an INT/Out call here.

I know this was an NFHS question (which I confused at first), but I posted a question about when the "intent" of a player's actions was removed from ASA/USA. I know it was a few years ago. I also asked if there was a listing of what actions an umpire might consider as "intentional" violations. Sadly, got no answers to that query.