The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

When I started umpiring softball last year, I didn't know enough at first to clearly and loudly call the batter (who is starting for 1B) out on a dropped third strike when that batter wasn't entitled to go there. Back then, I asked this forum if B2, who is not entitled to go to 1B on a dropped third strike, draws a throw from F2 and the throw goes over F3's head and R1, who is on 1B, makes it to 3B on overthrow, if interference could be called on B2 and either call R1 out or bring R1 back to 1B. Back then, the forum told me that F2 should know the situation and should know that batter is out. Thus, I was told that interference should not be called on batter if she draws throw from F2. However, I am now being told by experienced umps in my area (Indianapolis) that drawing a wild throw from F2 in that situation is interference on batter. Just checking again with forum on this situation.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Whose rules? If ASA, your experienced umps are wrong. This action is specifically excepted in the interference rule for retired runners. 8-7-P? Around there, anyway... I don't have my book with me.
Old Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 8-7-P (pg 114)

A runner continuing to run and drawing a throw may be considered a form of interference. This does not apply to the batter-runner running on the dropped third strike rule.