The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Dropped 3rd strike interference or not (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/105491-dropped-3rd-strike-interference-not.html)

Cliffdweller Mon Aug 30, 2021 07:25pm

Dropped 3rd strike interference or not

On a dropped 3rd strike, if the ball bounces off the ground, hits the catcher then the batter on the way to first out of the box, are they out for interference? NFHS

Tru_in_Blu Mon Aug 30, 2021 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffdweller (Post 1044430)
On a dropped 3rd strike, if the ball bounces off the ground, hits the catcher then the batter on the way to first out of the box, are they out for interference? NFHS

Unlikely - what did the batter do to warrant an INT call?

Cliffdweller Mon Aug 30, 2021 08:27pm

The batter/runner was hit in the back with ball while out of the box after the ball bounced off catcher. Umpire used rule 8-2-7 as a reference but, I don't know....

Tru_in_Blu Tue Aug 31, 2021 07:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffdweller (Post 1044432)
The batter/runner was hit in the back with ball while out of the box after the ball bounced off catcher. Umpire used rule 8-2-7 as a reference but, I don't know....

There is no "8.2.7".

Cliffdweller Tue Aug 31, 2021 08:29am

Page 63

Tru_in_Blu Tue Aug 31, 2021 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffdweller (Post 1044438)
Page 63

I only have the 2019 version of USA Softball rules. Not there.

Would likely have to be 8.2.some alpha character.

flyingron Thu Sep 09, 2021 05:48pm

He's talking about 8.2.7 in the case book rather than the rules. That's divided into four "situations"

The only one that seemingly applies here is "D"

B3 has a count of 3-2 with no runners on base and two outs. On the next pitch B3 swings and misses. The ball bounces off F2's shin guard and lands in front of home plate. As F2 moves out to field the ball, (a) b3 runs into her and knocks her down or (b) B3 unintentionally kicks the ball. RULING: In both (a) and (b), interference; the umpire calls "dead ball" and rules the batter-runner out.

Tru_in_Blu Thu Sep 09, 2021 07:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingron (Post 1044632)
He's talking about 8.2.7 in the case book rather than the rules. That's divided into four "situations"

The only one that seemingly applies here is "D"

B3 has a count of 3-2 with no runners on base and two outs. On the next pitch B3 swings and misses. The ball bounces off F2's shin guard and lands in front of home plate. As F2 moves out to field the ball, (a) b3 runs into her and knocks her down or (b) B3 unintentionally kicks the ball. RULING: In both (a) and (b), interference; the umpire calls "dead ball" and rules the batter-runner out.

Thanx for clarification - I mixed up NFHS & USA on the references.

Still, the question remains from the OP: what did the BR do to warrant an INT call?

chapmaja Sat Sep 18, 2021 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1044636)
Thanx for clarification - I mixed up NFHS & USA on the references.

Still, the question remains from the OP: what did the BR do to warrant an INT call?

NFHS Situation 8.2.7 Situation D (b) unintentionally kicks the ball.

Ruling: out for interference.

I would agree the ruling is interference, but I also agree with your thinking about what they did to warrant the interference call. To me this should be an umpires judgment call regarding if the batter runner intentionally interfered. I don't like penalizing a player because of a bad bounce on a bad play by the opponent.

Tru_in_Blu Mon Sep 20, 2021 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1044858)
To me this should be an umpires judgment call regarding if the batter runner intentionally interfered. I don't like penalizing a player because of a bad bounce on a bad play by the opponent.

If the BR did ANYthing (intentional or unintentional) that could be deemed INT, then call it.

The OP states a pitched ball hit the ground, bounced off F2, and then hit the BR. I don't see any justification for an INT/Out call here.

I know this was an NFHS question (which I confused at first), but I posted a question about when the "intent" of a player's actions was removed from ASA/USA. I know it was a few years ago. I also asked if there was a listing of what actions an umpire might consider as "intentional" violations. Sadly, got no answers to that query.