The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Dropped Third Strike - Interference?

Last night I had a U14 game with FED Rules. R1, less than two outs. R1 attempts to steal second base, pitch is a dropped third strike. Batter starts running toward first, even while I'm announcing "batters out" from B position. Play continues, catcher throws to first even though he doesn't need to.

On plays like this, is there any rule that could be applied for offensive interference, since the retired batter's actions caused the defense to make a play that they didn't have to, instead of focusing on R1, who is now R2? My thought would be that you can't call an out on offensive interference, since the batter is already out. Or is it just the defense's fault that they don't understand the ruling on this play?

There was no controversy with this play, I am just curious as how I could handle it if defensive coach yells for interference by the retired batter.

Thanks!
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

The defense is responsible to understand the situation, and know that they do not need to put out the "not"-B/R.
Rube (roob) slang; sports fan who listens to KFAN in Minneapolis, MN.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Why?

Quote:
"Batter starts running toward first, even while I'm announcing "batters out" from B position."
I do not know of a mechanics book that would have you make this call.

Why did you say anything from "B"?
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

To be honest, I'm not real sure. I think it was just a reaction to the situation (something that I've been trying to control) , and that the PU didn't say anything at all.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschramm View Post
To be honest, I'm not real sure. I think it was just a reaction to the situation (something that I've been trying to control) , and that the PU didn't say anything at all.
I don't think it's unheard of to do that in a U14 league. The players are still fairly young.

To answer your original question, I don't believe there is any support in the rules to call an out on this play. Both teams are responsible to know the situation.

-Josh
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 02:46pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I don't think I've read it anywhere either...well, maybe on here...for the BU to signal "out" on a play like that. That being said, it's the responsibility of the defense to know the situation.
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

~sigh~

Quote:
"I don't think it's unheard of to do that in a U14 league. The players are still fairly young."
Sorry my bad, I thought we were talking about real baseball.