The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Base award

ASA Men’s Slow Pitch

Runner on first, no outs. Line drive to SS caught. Double pumps and then throws to 1st to try to double off the runner and it goes through/under the fence. What is the award to the runner? Just wondering if I’m missing something since I haven’t called softball in a while.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
ASA Men’s Slow Pitch

Runner on first, no outs. Line drive to SS caught. Double pumps and then throws to 1st to try to double off the runner and it goes through/under the fence. What is the award to the runner? Just wondering if I’m missing something since I haven’t called softball in a while.
Two bases from the runner's position at the time of the throw regardless of that runner's direction.
Old Tue Oct 08, 2019, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you. That’s what I thought and feel better knowing I haven’t lost my mind. Was told it’s one base on an overthrow earlier tonight. Same umpire then awarded 2 bases from where a runner was when a ball went into the dugout and not based on when the throw was made.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2019, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you. That’s what I thought and feel better knowing I haven’t lost my mind. Was told it’s one base on an overthrow earlier tonight. Same umpire then awarded 2 bases from where a runner was when a ball went into the dugout and not based on when the throw was made.
BTW, that is not a new rule, it has be around for years
Old Wed Oct 09, 2019, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

I know it’s been that way for years. I was just making sure it hadn’t changed since the last time I worked ASA. I think what bugged me is the umpire stated “only one base on an overthrow” when I asked why the runner wasn’t being awarded third. I thought to myself there is no award for an overthrow, but a ball thrown out of play is always a 2 base award. My frustration cranked up on the later play when he did award 2 bases to a runner on the other team.
Old Wed Oct 09, 2019, 02:08pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
I know it’s been that way for years. I was just making sure it hadn’t changed since the last time I worked ASA. I think what bugged me is the umpire stated “only one base on an overthrow” when I asked why the runner wasn’t being awarded third. I thought to myself there is no award for an overthrow, but a ball thrown out of play is always a 2 base award.
"One base on an overthrow" is a sandlot rule. I've never seen that phrase written in any real baseball or softball rule book. Maybe it existed when they played games without helmets and only in the daytime.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Oct 09, 2019, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Maybe it existed when they played games without helmets and only in the daytime.
Only you and Irish remember.
Old Fri Oct 11, 2019, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

As an aside, R1 still needs to tag up at 1B during the dead ball before advancing on the base award, or he is at liability to be called out on appeal.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2019, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Is this considered the second play by an infielder? In baseball it would be the first play.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2019, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Is this considered the second play by an infielder? In baseball it would be the first play.
That's not a rule in softball.