The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Base award (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104750-base-award.html)

BoomerSooner Tue Oct 08, 2019 09:28pm

Base award

ASA Men’s Slow Pitch

Runner on first, no outs. Line drive to SS caught. Double pumps and then throws to 1st to try to double off the runner and it goes through/under the fence. What is the award to the runner? Just wondering if I’m missing something since I haven’t called softball in a while.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Oct 08, 2019 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner (Post 1034797)
ASA Men’s Slow Pitch

Runner on first, no outs. Line drive to SS caught. Double pumps and then throws to 1st to try to double off the runner and it goes through/under the fence. What is the award to the runner? Just wondering if I’m missing something since I haven’t called softball in a while.

Two bases from the runner's position at the time of the throw regardless of that runner's direction.

BoomerSooner Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:00pm

Thank you. That’s what I thought and feel better knowing I haven’t lost my mind. Was told it’s one base on an overthrow earlier tonight. Same umpire then awarded 2 bases from where a runner was when a ball went into the dugout and not based on when the throw was made.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Oct 09, 2019 07:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner (Post 1034799)
Thank you. That’s what I thought and feel better knowing I haven’t lost my mind. Was told it’s one base on an overthrow earlier tonight. Same umpire then awarded 2 bases from where a runner was when a ball went into the dugout and not based on when the throw was made.

BTW, that is not a new rule, it has be around for years

BoomerSooner Wed Oct 09, 2019 07:52am

I know it’s been that way for years. I was just making sure it hadn’t changed since the last time I worked ASA. I think what bugged me is the umpire stated “only one base on an overthrow” when I asked why the runner wasn’t being awarded third. I thought to myself there is no award for an overthrow, but a ball thrown out of play is always a 2 base award. My frustration cranked up on the later play when he did award 2 bases to a runner on the other team.

Manny A Wed Oct 09, 2019 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner (Post 1034801)
I know it’s been that way for years. I was just making sure it hadn’t changed since the last time I worked ASA. I think what bugged me is the umpire stated “only one base on an overthrow” when I asked why the runner wasn’t being awarded third. I thought to myself there is no award for an overthrow, but a ball thrown out of play is always a 2 base award.

"One base on an overthrow" is a sandlot rule. I've never seen that phrase written in any real baseball or softball rule book. Maybe it existed when they played games without helmets and only in the daytime.

CecilOne Wed Oct 09, 2019 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1034813)
Maybe it existed when they played games without helmets and only in the daytime.

Only you and Irish remember. ;) :D ;) :D :D :D :rolleyes:

teebob21 Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:13am

As an aside, R1 still needs to tag up at 1B during the dead ball before advancing on the base award, or he is at liability to be called out on appeal.

umpjim Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:04am

Is this considered the second play by an infielder? In baseball it would be the first play.

youngump Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 1034923)
Is this considered the second play by an infielder? In baseball it would be the first play.

That's not a rule in softball.