The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

Home Run Dead Ball

NFHS softball and NCAA rules. I have always heard that when a person hits a homeroom that her teammates can not high five them etc. (touch them) until they touch home plate. I watch the games on TV and all of the teammates stand back at home plate and do not touch them until they have touched home plate. I read a memo this past weekend that said the ball is dead and there is no plenty if the teammates touch them. Is this correct?
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

There’s a rule like that for NCAA, but they’re the only one. That rule doesn’t apply to other sanctions.
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 09:35am
Stirrer of the Pot

There is a specific rule in NCAA play that prohibits players from touching any runners, including the batter-runner, as they run the bases following a home run. There is a separate rule that prohibits players from setting up in fair territory as they wait for the runners to touch home plate on a home run. The first violation is a warning to the team, and a subsequent violation is an out on the player being touched or on the BR if a player is in fair territory.

NFHS has no such rules.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
NFHS has no such rules.
Thankfully!

Not USA, USSSA, etc. either
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 09:53am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Thankfully!

Not USA, USSSA, etc. either
True. I only mentioned NFHS since the original post specifically asked for this. Don't really know why the rules exist in college play. I can only guess that there was an issue in a televised game where the umpire at home couldn't see a runner touch home plate because one or more of her teammates blocked his/her view. The rule on touching a runner is even more of a mystery to me; I just don't see how that could have caused a problem.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
True. I only mentioned NFHS since the original post specifically asked for this. .
I know, not trying to correct you, just emphasizing only NCAA is that paranoid.
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Can the player that hit the home run high-5 the base coaches?
Old Tue May 07, 2019, 12:17pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Can the player that hit the home run high-5 the base coaches?
In college play, yes. The prohibition applies to offensive team personnel except base coaches or other base runners.