The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 13, 2019, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

end of game procedure

I'm looking for inputs to settle (or advise on) a debate.

NFHS varsity game. At the conclusion of the game, plate umpire returns game balls to home team and begins to leave looking for BU to join so they can leave together.

The base umpire goes to the plate area. The BU that stayed at the plate area believes that (both) umpires are supposed to stay there to oversee the players going through the handshakes.

Is staying at the plate to do this part of any sanction's end of game procedure? Is it required or even recommended? Softball, baseball, other sports?

Thanx.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2019, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Unless it is a local protocol, leave.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2019, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Once the game's over, you're not officiating anything. You're all equal, just friends, whatever. So if you want to shake everybody's hand, go ahead. But it's a good way to transmit colds and possibly set yourself up for an inferred snub if you miss shaking someone's hand.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2019, 04:28pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I'm not sure if Mass. requires umpires to observe the post-game handshakes like they do (or did) for basketball. Other than that, CecilOne is right that unless one of your sanctioning bodies requires it, don't hang around.

My state has no such requirements, so I try to leave the field as soon as I reasonably can. Nothing good comes from lingering around longer than necessary.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Apr 13, 2019, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Once the game's over, you're not officiating anything. You're all equal, just friends, whatever. So if you want to shake everybody's hand, go ahead. But it's a good way to transmit colds and possibly set yourself up for an inferred snub if you miss shaking someone's hand.
The BU did not stay to shake hands, only to observe the players/coaches shaking hands.

Course, if you hang around long enough you'll likely get some fist bumps from players and handshakes from coaches.
Old Sat Apr 13, 2019, 07:59pm
Administrator

When the final out is made or the final run is scored: GET THE HELL OUT OF DODGE!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I'm not sure if Mass. requires umpires to observe the post-game handshakes like they do (or did) for basketball.
What was the point of that? If they need someone to keep order, that's the job of police or local security. Is a Fed basketball result not official until hands are shaken?
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:25am
Administrator

Quote:
What was the point of that? If they need someone to keep order, that's the job of police or local security. Is a Fed basketball result not official until hands are shaken?

The StateHSAA in Mass., a few years back, started requiring the Game Officials to remain on the Court and supervise the pist-game hand shake. There have been a number of threads in the Basketball Forum discussing the requirement. A search of the Basketball Forum will find them all.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Apr 16, 2019, 02:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
NFHS varsity game. At the conclusion of the game, plate umpire returns game balls to home team...
I don't even do that. If I'm still somewhere in the vicinity of home plate, I'll either drop the extra game balls at the plate or roll them back to the backstop. If I am somewhere else, such as having trailed the BR to first or taking a call at third, I'll roll the balls to the circle. I'm not going around looking to hand the balls over to someone, especially if the home team isn't very happy with me.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 16, 2019, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I don't even do that. If I'm still somewhere in the vicinity of home plate, I'll either drop the extra game balls at the plate or roll them back to the backstop. If I am somewhere else, such as having trailed the BR to first or taking a call at third, I'll roll the balls to the circle. I'm not going around looking to hand the balls over to someone, especially if the home team isn't very happy with me.
Not butting into the handshake crowd for a personal handoff, but rolling the balls to the home dugout is practical and easy.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2019, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
The StateHSAA in Mass., a few years back, started requiring the Game Officials to remain on the Court and supervise the pist-game hand shake. There have been a number of threads in the Basketball Forum discussing the requirement. A search of the Basketball Forum will find them all.
I did, thanks.

Over the years I've read here about some silly, picayune rules established re sportsmanship. However, this one is the stupidest, & apparently it does apply to all team sports, although apparently its implement'n in basketball is the most problematic. I can only conclude the Mass. Interscholastic Athletic Ass'n has a great desire to make trouble for game officials -- actually a desire to make trouble for everybody, but falling hardest on officials.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2019, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Over the years I've read here about some silly, picayune rules established re sportsmanship. However, this one is the stupidest, & apparently it does apply to all team sports, although apparently its implement'n in basketball is the most problematic. I can only conclude the Mass. Interscholastic Athletic Ass'n has a great desire to make trouble for game officials -- actually a desire to make trouble for everybody, but falling hardest on officials.
RG, I'm not sure where you're from. Is it MA?

I've confirmed with a friend that the viewing of handshakes after a softball game is in place:

"In Mass...per MIAA......we have been instructed to stand together between home plate and pitcher's circle and observe the team handshake."

I live in nearby NH, but I don't know the reasoning for that instruction.

Unless you know the whys and wherefores, it seems rather harsh to criticize from afar. Labeling this action as silly, trivial, stupid, problematical is unbecoming, especially if you have no idea as to why it was implemented in the first place. (I do not, BTW.)

To claim that a state sports agency would create a policy with a goal of causing trouble for officials, coaches, players, administrators is very small minded.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2019, 08:56am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Unless you know the whys and wherefores, it seems rather harsh to criticize from afar. Labeling this action as silly, trivial, stupid, problematical is unbecoming, especially if you have no idea as to why it was implemented in the first place. (I do not, BTW.).
It's not that difficult to conclude that what they want officials to do is keep an eye out for any unsporting behavior during the "gah-game" ritual. There is no other reasonable motive behind this. Something likely happened after a game ended that escalated into a fight, and the state powers-that-be felt the only way to deal with this was to have the game officials to stay and watch.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 17, 2019, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
It's not that difficult to conclude that what they want officials to do is keep an eye out for any unsporting behavior during the "gah-game" ritual. There is no other reasonable motive behind this. Something likely happened after a game ended that escalated into a fight, and the state powers-that-be felt the only way to deal with this was to have the game officials to stay and watch.
Manny, I believe that is a very plausible explanation for why officials are asked to oversee the handshake. As such, not silly, trivial, etc.

Not sure what officials might be expected to do if a fight did break out, though, other than observe and perhaps serve as witnesses.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2019, 10:26am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Manny, I believe that is a very plausible explanation for why officials are asked to oversee the handshake. As such, not silly, trivial, etc.

Not sure what officials might be expected to do if a fight did break out, though, other than observe and perhaps serve as witnesses.
I never suggested that the requirement was silly or trivial. There may very well be a legitimate reason, at least in the eyes of those who require it. But it does put officials in a precarious situation in that they leave themselves as targets for any upset coaches to get in their last licks. That's why we're supposed to make haste to get off the field afterwards. So rather than silly or trivial, I would consider it ill-advised.