The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 31, 2019, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Cr

Play:
S11 bats for pitcher, who gets on base. Can coach c/r for her since she batter for pitcher?
Play:
S11 bats for pitcher, who gets on base. Coach then puts pitcher back in game to replace S11 who is still on base. Can coach then put C/R in for pitcher that’s now on base?
Old Sun Mar 31, 2019, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

No can do, BBMAN.

The pitcher or catcher must earn their way on base in order to qualify for a CR.

Only in the top of the first inning can someone listed as either F1 or F2 be granted a CR if they reach base. Or, if F1 or F2 is scheduled to be the runner to be placed on second base in a tie breaker situation.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2019, 11:38am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Only in the top of the first inning can someone listed as either F1 or F2 be granted a CR if they reach base. Or, if F1 or F2 is scheduled to be the runner to be placed on second base in a tie breaker situation.
I agree with your first comment. I'm not so sure about the second one. The pitcher or catcher must "earn" their way on base. Is being the runner on second for the tiebreaker considered "earning" the base? I've never seen a case play that verifies that. The NFHS rule book doesn't cover it since the tiebreaker system is a state option that really doesn't get explained in the book.

Is there a clarification or case play in USA Softball that says a CR may be used at second base under the tiebreaker system?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 01, 2019, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I agree with your first comment. I'm not so sure about the second one. The pitcher or catcher must "earn" their way on base. Is being the runner on second for the tiebreaker considered "earning" the base? I've never seen a case play that verifies that. The NFHS rule book doesn't cover it since the tiebreaker system is a state option that really doesn't get explained in the book.

Is there a clarification or case play in USA Softball that says a CR may be used at second base under the tiebreaker system?
It has been interpreted and clarified- as "earning" the spot at 2nd; because the non-earning rule was just to avoid pinch hitters, etc. I don't know where or when anymore.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post

Yes. There was that clarification the year AFTER the rule was first reworded to include "earn", because your interpretation was never the intent. The rule wording exists for one and only purpose to eliminate the "strategy" of a sub for F1 or F2 reaching base, the F1 or F2 re-entering, and then attempting to allow a CR.

And there was an NFHS case play ruling, as well. The F1 and F2 "earn their way" in tie-breaker innings the same way as every other player in the lineup; by being the listed 9th batter in the inning.

If the one and only requirement was for them to have been a batter that reached base safely, it would say that.