The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

bunt

NFHS girls softball question. The batter holds the bat over the plate but makes no motion with the bat at the pitch. Is this still a strike on the batter?
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 04:51pm
Call it as I see it.

NFHS the answer is yes!!!
Rule 2 Section 8
ART. 2 . . . Attempted Bunt. Any non-swinging movement of the bat intended to tap the ball into
play. Holding the bat in the strike zone is considered a bunt attempt. In order to take a pitch, the
bat must be withdrawn – pulled backward and away from the ball.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 10:24am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
NFHS the answer is yes!!!
Rule 2 Section 8
ART. 2 . . . Attempted Bunt. Any non-swinging movement of the bat intended to tap the ball into
play. Holding the bat in the strike zone is considered a bunt attempt. In order to take a pitch, the
bat must be withdrawn – pulled backward and away from the ball.
One of the dumbest rules in NFHS (and NCAA) softball, IMHO. Rumor has it they went that way because too many umpires weren't skilled enough to judge when the batter actually attempts to make contact with the pitch. Hello?? How hard is it to see the batter move her bat toward the ball to meet it with intent to tap it back into the infield??

Thank goodness USA Softball still has confidence in its plate umpires to tell the difference between a bunt attempt and nothing.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

This rule can throw off umpires doing both diamond sports. If I do a softball game one day and a baseball game the next, I have to remember which rule I am using. Steve Orinick even lists the "batter must pull back on a bunt" as a rules myth in baseball. I also believe that the rule is stupid (just showing bunt does not mean that a batter is actually trying to contact the ball), because there should not be a difference between a boy showing a bunt (OK) and a girl showing a bunt (strike).

Last edited by ilyazhito; Fri Mar 29, 2019 at 10:31pm.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
One of the dumbest rules in NFHS (and NCAA) softball, IMHO. Rumor has it they went that way because too many umpires weren't skilled enough to judge when the batter actually attempts to make contact with the pitch. Hello?? How hard is it to see the batter move her bat toward the ball to meet it with intent to tap it back into the infield??

Thank goodness USA Softball still has confidence in its plate umpires to tell the difference between a bunt attempt and nothing.
Close, Manny. The truth is so many college coaches couldn't tell, that they wanted the judgment taken away from the umpires.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2019, 11:39am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Close, Manny. The truth is so many college coaches couldn't tell, that they wanted the judgment taken away from the umpires.
Wow...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker