The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   bunt (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104500-bunt.html)

benbret Thu Mar 28, 2019 04:15pm

bunt

NFHS girls softball question. The batter holds the bat over the plate but makes no motion with the bat at the pitch. Is this still a strike on the batter?

Insane Blue Thu Mar 28, 2019 04:51pm

NFHS the answer is yes!!!
Rule 2 Section 8
ART. 2 . . . Attempted Bunt. Any non-swinging movement of the bat intended to tap the ball into
play. Holding the bat in the strike zone is considered a bunt attempt. In order to take a pitch, the
bat must be withdrawn – pulled backward and away from the ball.

Manny A Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 1031722)
NFHS the answer is yes!!!
Rule 2 Section 8
ART. 2 . . . Attempted Bunt. Any non-swinging movement of the bat intended to tap the ball into
play. Holding the bat in the strike zone is considered a bunt attempt. In order to take a pitch, the
bat must be withdrawn – pulled backward and away from the ball.

One of the dumbest rules in NFHS (and NCAA) softball, IMHO. Rumor has it they went that way because too many umpires weren't skilled enough to judge when the batter actually attempts to make contact with the pitch. Hello?? How hard is it to see the batter move her bat toward the ball to meet it with intent to tap it back into the infield??

Thank goodness USA Softball still has confidence in its plate umpires to tell the difference between a bunt attempt and nothing.

ilyazhito Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43am

This rule can throw off umpires doing both diamond sports. If I do a softball game one day and a baseball game the next, I have to remember which rule I am using. Steve Orinick even lists the "batter must pull back on a bunt" as a rules myth in baseball. I also believe that the rule is stupid (just showing bunt does not mean that a batter is actually trying to contact the ball), because there should not be a difference between a boy showing a bunt (OK) and a girl showing a bunt (strike).

AtlUmpSteve Fri Mar 29, 2019 09:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1031773)
One of the dumbest rules in NFHS (and NCAA) softball, IMHO. Rumor has it they went that way because too many umpires weren't skilled enough to judge when the batter actually attempts to make contact with the pitch. Hello?? How hard is it to see the batter move her bat toward the ball to meet it with intent to tap it back into the infield??

Thank goodness USA Softball still has confidence in its plate umpires to tell the difference between a bunt attempt and nothing.

Close, Manny. The truth is so many college coaches couldn't tell, that they wanted the judgment taken away from the umpires.

Manny A Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 1031785)
Close, Manny. The truth is so many college coaches couldn't tell, that they wanted the judgment taken away from the umpires.

Wow...