Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 11, 2003, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
I was talking about http://www.mosquitoweb.nl/

Good one Roger. I had forgotten about that one. I
had even copied and pasted it....after I sent it to all.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Once again an example of how "WE" can become our own worse enemy. If a player swings on purpose to get a strike..pleeease give it to him/her. I have had games nearing curfew or darkness that had not gone the necessary 5 innings to be official. The team winning by a ton got up & swung intentionally missing just to get the inning over with. Players are not required to try to hit the ball.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

trying to hasten end of game

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
I have had games nearing curfew or darkness that had not gone the necessary 5 innings to be official. The team winning by a ton got up & swung intentionally missing just to get the inning over with. Players are not required to try to hit the ball.
As I noted above, in hindsight I probably should handled the situation that I posed by just calling the strike, as the player simply wanted to hit instead of walk. There was no issue of rain, darkness, or time limit.

However, the situation you pose -- intentionally hastening the end of the game -- is actually not legal and eventually could be grounds for a forfeit (the same goes for stalling). Having said that, I probably would let it go in an isolated instance in a rec league both teams were ok with it (e.g. a terrible blowout where the losing team wants to be put out of its misery as soon as possible). But it would make a farce of the game to let, say, 5 or 6 players in a row intentionally strike out or otherwise make an out on purpose for strategic reasons. Certainly there are gray areas, and some games indeed deserve to end ASAP (and, as umpires, we certainly want them to be official games when they end), but as umpires we also need to set limits. I would not condone a team making many outs on purpose to beat the rain, nor would I condone the defense in that situation intentionally making misplays. I would warn both teams.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Tap, I have also had games where BOTH teams conduct was not in the best interest for the integrety of the game. This usually occurs in these "Beer leagues" we all get stuck umpiring sometimes. When it gets pretty bad I just ask everyone if they would like to stop the game, I can go home, & they can go to the bar ????. That usually puts an end to the goofing around & the game gets closer to normal again.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, Chuck, I agree. I'm increasingly getting tired of calling these types of games, though most teams/players are fine. It's just a few bad apples that I see.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tap, I have also had games where BOTH teams conduct was not in the best interest for the integrety of the game. This usually occurs in these "Beer leagues" we all get stuck umpiring sometimes. When it gets pretty bad I just ask everyone if they would like to stop the game, I can go home, & they can go to the bar ????. That usually puts an end to the goofing around & the game gets closer to normal again.
Rubbish! Please define beer leagues. I haven't seen a "beer league" for years. Besides, I've encountered the same antics in Church and Industrial SP as well as Youth FP at the league, state and regional level.

Also, as an umpire, you should be willing to work all levels of ball, not just what you believe to be legitimate. I've never been "STUCK" with a ball game I didn't want to work.

I'm aware of quite a few umpires who probably need to work a few "beer league" games just to get their head out of their ***. I have also found that many of these "prima donna" umpires who feel they are too good to work anything, but the best games are often the same who don't feel it is important to attend clinics and crack a rule book every now and then. IOW, they are usually not up to snuff to work the competition of which they believe they are deserving.

JMHO,
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Definition of a beer league according to Webster is a league where drinking at the bar before the game happens. The cooler is brought to the bench. Totally trashed player somehow find there bat & glove & attempt to play what they remember was softball. They start arguing with their own teammates manager (if one shows up) and then they start arguing with the other team. Eventually I take off my blue shirt & put on my stripes because now I'm a refereee no longer umping a game..I'm working a 7 inning fight.
Your are correct that we all take an oath to umpire a softball game..not this garbage.
I am happy that you have never been stuck with a game you didn't want to work. Let me know next time your in Baltimore & I'll take you to leagues that cannot find sanctioned umpires for the above reasons
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Definition of a beer league according to Webster is a league where drinking at the bar before the game happens. The cooler is brought to the bench. Totally trashed player somehow find there bat & glove & attempt to play what they remember was softball. They start arguing with their own teammates manager (if one shows up) and then they start arguing with the other team. Eventually I take off my blue shirt & put on my stripes because now I'm a refereee no longer umping a game..I'm working a 7 inning fight.
Okay, I've been there and done that except I'm not a referee. I just stand back, take numbers and eject everyone attached to any number I had to write down.

Quote:
Your are correct that we all take an oath to umpire a softball game..not this garbage.

I am happy that you have never been stuck with a game you didn't want to work. Let me know next time your in Baltimore & I'll take you to leagues that cannot find sanctioned umpires for the above reasons
You are right, and therefore, should not make yourself available to work those games. For that matter, you should push your association to not contract with such a league. However, if you allow players to bring alcohol to the field, you are basically setting yourself up for trouble.

Eventually, some of the players wise up and find a legitimate league in which to play and the others will still get drunk and fight among themselves which is fine by me 'cause I'm not going to be there to deal with it.

The reason I never feel "stuck" with a game is because I consider all games to be equal, at least at the beginning

Yes, I have to readjust some of my on field priorities as the lower the level, the more likely you are to encounter a goofy play to the wrong base or something similar to that. However, just because you have a "D" game today and a "B" game tomorrow shouldn't mean that you walk through the D and give the B game everything you have. Every team deserves the best game the umpire can offer regardless of the level of play.

Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Definition of a beer league according to Webster is . . .

Are you serious that a dictionary actually defines "beer league"?