View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
Tap, I have also had games where BOTH teams conduct was not in the best interest for the integrety of the game. This usually occurs in these "Beer leagues" we all get stuck umpiring sometimes. When it gets pretty bad I just ask everyone if they would like to stop the game, I can go home, & they can go to the bar ????. That usually puts an end to the goofing around & the game gets closer to normal again.
Rubbish! Please define beer leagues. I haven't seen a "beer league" for years. Besides, I've encountered the same antics in Church and Industrial SP as well as Youth FP at the league, state and regional level.

Also, as an umpire, you should be willing to work all levels of ball, not just what you believe to be legitimate. I've never been "STUCK" with a ball game I didn't want to work.

I'm aware of quite a few umpires who probably need to work a few "beer league" games just to get their head out of their ***. I have also found that many of these "prima donna" umpires who feel they are too good to work anything, but the best games are often the same who don't feel it is important to attend clinics and crack a rule book every now and then. IOW, they are usually not up to snuff to work the competition of which they believe they are deserving.

JMHO,