The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 20, 2017, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
According the the news reports out of KY, there was already legislation in the works.
I wouldn't doubt it. I was just being pedantic.

I agree with your views on this, BTW.

I am a bit mystified as to how they could put this in place without any standards at all. I'd like to see the actual rule rather than a press release describing it.
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

This is the most information I can find directly from the KHSAA website.

Quote:
A specific model or brand was not specified, but all face protection equipment must to be worn as intended by the manufacturer in order to comply with NFHS rules.
If that is all the wording they are using to specify facial protection a player could literally wear a halloween mask and say it is facial protection. Or as I posted earlier, a grinding faceshield from Home Depot or Lowes. That is also facial protection.
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
This is the most information I can find directly from the KHSAA website.

If that is all the wording they are using to specify facial protection a player could literally wear a halloween mask and say it is facial protection. Or as I posted earlier, a grinding faceshield from Home Depot or Lowes. That is also facial protection.
A welder's mask for the bright, sunny days would be interesting. And don't laugh, I've already seen it by a pitcher and batter in SP
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Just a point about those objecting to government involvement, etc.

This rule was put in place by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association, not the state legislature or any other agency of the Kentucky state government.
I'm having trouble believing you have not posted the Lone Ranger.
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 11:23am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Just a point about those objecting to government involvement, etc.

This rule was put in place by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association, not the state legislature or any other agency of the Kentucky state government.
Well, I never said anything about government involvement. What I said was it took a governing body to make this mandatory as opposed to having coaches and parents become more responsible for their kids.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 11:48am
Administrator

I started this thread so I thought I should comment further.

I see no problem with mandating a face mask in fact I would vote for such a requirement if I were on the NFHS and NCAA Softball Rules Committees, and the ASA Rules Committee.

BUT, I do believe that before such a mandate is made that ASTM standards developed and NOCSAE testing should have been done. That is the engineering "me" speaking. And I know that MTD, Jr., would agree with me.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 02:06pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
BUT, I do believe that before such a mandate is made that ASTM standards developed and NOCSAE testing should have been done. That is the engineering "me" speaking. And I know that MTD, Jr., would agree with me.
Agree. At the end of the day, we really have no idea how safe the masks currently on the market really are. They may appear to be safe, but who's to know if they truly are. That's probably why no national governing body wants to make them mandatory.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Agree. At the end of the day, we really have no idea how safe the masks currently on the market really are. They may appear to be safe, but who's to know if they truly are. That's probably why no national governing body wants to make them mandatory.
Funny enough, the first two or three sentences can also be applied to umpire masks.
Old Fri Jul 21, 2017, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Funny enough, the first two or three sentences can also be applied to umpire masks.
So-called hockey-style helmets are available and at least some (maybe all?? I've never checked into it) are NOCSAE approved. We are (mostly) adults who can make the choice for a NOCSAE approved helmet if we so choose.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2017, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
2020 - elbow guards made mandatory

2024 - ankle guards made mandatory

Old Sat Jul 22, 2017, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

All of the objections on this particular thread to the KHSAA mandate are valid LEGAL points. At least you guys are not saying stupid things like the masks are not needed, it should be a personal choice, etc. And I agree some parents and coaches are probably cowards because they won't stand up to their own kids and say "Wear the mask or you don't play".

First, I'm not that parent or coach. If you play for me, you wear the mask. Secondly, what do we do to protect those kids while the lengthy process of testing those masks takes place?Again, lawyers are not standing on that field. Young kids with varying degrees of maturity and ability are, and a few of them without a mask are getting hurt. And you guys all know the masks on the market work better than nothing at all.

So, the rule has been established. It may very well save a kid's life next season. Now go ahead and start the testing, get the certifications, etc. Sometimes common sense has to step in front of legalities and society's never-ending urge to question and debate almost everything. And you guys make sure to snap a picture of any homemade twisted wire masks that you see on the field today. And let me know if Lowes has a special on their face shields-I will run out and buy a dozen for my team and throw the high quality Rip-It, Schutt, etc. masks in the trash.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2017, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I've had the same thoughts, but I was told by some pretty reliable sources close to KHSAA the real reason all if these governing organizations have hesitated is because of the pre-existing injury lawsuits and the indirect admission of "guilt" associated with mandating them at this point.
Old Sat Jul 22, 2017, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
Again, lawyers are not standing on that field.
No, they are standing behind the dugouts with a briefcase full of retainer agreements

Quote:
Young kids with varying degrees of maturity and ability are, and a few of them without a mask are getting hurt. And you guys all know the masks on the market work better than nothing at all.
Don't know if I'd be so fast jumping on that bandwagon. There have been some pretty wild garage/basement made concoctions appear over the years. Good intent, but maybe not as safe as they appear

Quote:
So, the rule has been established. It may very well save a kid's life next season. Now go ahead and start the testing, get the certifications, etc.
Who is going to pay to commission such testing?

Quote:
Sometimes common sense has to step in front of legalities and society's never-ending urge to question and debate almost everything. And you guys make sure to snap a picture of any homemade twisted wire masks that you see on the field today. And let me know if Lowes has a special on their face shields-I will run out and buy a dozen for my team and throw the high quality Rip-It, Schutt, etc. masks in the trash.
Well, see, that is part of the problem. When the certified masks were mandated on the batting helmet, the people couldn't understand why they had to replace the "perfectly good" (yet neither tested or certified) Rip-it, Schutt or whatever other manufactured cage that was already attached to the helmet. Many were just outright headstrong about MAKING them spend another $15-$25 for another mask they insisted they did not need. Of course, like the bats, many voiced their displeasure and accused ASA of passing the requirement simply to make more money off of masks. This was a little strange to me that these same folks buy into the $200-$300 Make-My-Daughter-a-Superstar bat in a heartbeat, but go off the deep end on something like a piece of safety equipment.
Old Sun Jul 23, 2017, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
...what do we do to protect those kids while the lengthy process of testing those masks takes place?...
Who is this "we" of which you speak? Coaches, leagues, and parents already have all the authority they need.

If anyone can post a link to the actual wording of the rule, I'd like to read it.

I would hope, for example, the rule mandates that the mask be manufactured for the purpose of softball fielder protection, not just something homemade or just any ol' "mask". If they did that, in reality it is no different from what a coach or a league would mandate (but it probably does shift the burden of legal liability to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association should one of these masks break and cause injury).
Old Tue Aug 01, 2017, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Retired ump here. I'm a bit surprised that NOCSAE standards haven't been implemented by now.