The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Face masks

Had two different face mask calls in a game this week and I think we got the enforcement correct, but I just want to check:
  • A 2nd and 10 at B's 40. A25 runs off left tackle and gets face masked at B39. I throw the flag. At the B37, A25 fumbles, the ball bounces ahead and is recovered by A at B's 34. I had flagged the face mask at the spot of the foul and beanbagged the fumble. We enforced five yards from the end of the related run (which ended at the beanbag), taking it to the 32 and no first down. Did we get that right?
  • A 1st and 10 at their own 1 after a goal line stand. A12 drops back and gets face masked in a big way about a yard deep in the end zone as he's sacked. We enforced from the goal line 10 yards (the longest penalty this junior high league allows is a 10 yarder) and made it 1-10 at the 10. Did we get that right?

Thanks.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Had two different face mask calls in a game this week and I think we got the enforcement correct, but I just want to check:
  • A 2nd and 10 at B's 40. A25 runs off left tackle and gets face masked at B39. I throw the flag. At the B37, A25 fumbles, the ball bounces ahead and is recovered by A at B's 34. I had flagged the face mask at the spot of the foul and beanbagged the fumble. We enforced five yards from the end of the related run (which ended at the beanbag), taking it to the 32 and no first down. Did we get that right?
  • If you repeated the down, 2nd-2 from the 32, yes if it was only a 5 yard FM. There is no need to have the flag at the spot of the foul as since it is by the defense, the foul will never be enforced from the spot of the foul.
  • Quote:
    A 1st and 10 at their own 1 after a goal line stand. A12 drops back and gets face masked in a big way about a yard deep in the end zone as he's sacked. We enforced from the goal line 10 yards (the longest penalty this junior high league allows is a 10 yarder) and made it 1-10 at the 10. Did we get that right?
Your enforcement spot is correct. In NF it would be a 15 yarder enforced from the goal line.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
If you repeated the down, 2nd-2 from the 32, yes if it was only a 5 yard FM. There is no need to have the flag at the spot of the foul as since it is by the defense, the foul will never be enforced from the spot of the foul.[*]
Your enforcement spot is correct. In NF it would be a 15 yarder enforced from the goal line.

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

MJT - you say that the foul will never be enforced from the spot of the foul, and then in the 2nd sitch, you enforce from the spot of the foul. Odd.

Edited to add - ok, I get it on the 2nd now. My bad. Responded too quickly.

Last edited by mcrowder; Thu Oct 19, 2006 at 03:04pm.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Right, the "spot" of the foul in the first instance doesn't matter for that particular foul, just pointing out that that related run ended at a certain point prior to the end of the play. You still have to throw the flag, but where it lands doesn't matter for that particular foul (unlike for a hold, for example).

In the second one, we're not enforcing from the spot of the foul, but since the end of the related run was behind the goal line, we have to enforce from the goal line.

If the quarterback had thrown the ball incomplete, would it have been enforced from the previous spot (the 1 yard line)? Not that it mattered in the end.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

In the second one, wouldn't it be 1st and 1 from the ten?
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

PF FM = Auto 1st down
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
PF FM = Auto 1st down

Not in FED ball. Only automatics are the 3 roughings and DPI.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 05:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
A 2nd and 10 at B's 40. A25 runs off left tackle and gets face masked at B39. I throw the flag. At the B37, A25 fumbles, the ball bounces ahead and is recovered by A at B's 34. I had flagged the face mask at the spot of the foul and beanbagged the fumble. We enforced five yards from the end of the related run (which ended at the beanbag), taking it to the 32 and no first down.
UR-FM before LTG is applied from PLS or Point Ball Dead (PBD). In this case, apply 15y+AFD at the B-34 = A 1D/10 @ B-19.

Quote:
A 1st and 10 at their own 1 after a goal line stand. A12 drops back and gets face masked in a big way about a yard deep in the end zone as he's sacked. We enforced from the goal line 10 yards (the longest penalty this junior high league allows is a 10 yarder) and made it 1-10 at the 10.
UR-FM before LTG is applied from PLS or Point Ball Dead (PBD). In this case, apply 15y+AFD at the A-1 = A 1D/10 @ A-16.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Not in FED ball. Only automatics are the 3 roughings and DPI.
You must be considering RTKicker and RTHolder to be one to have 3 roughings and not 4?
Old Thu Oct 19, 2006, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
UR-FM before LTG is applied from PLS or Point Ball Dead (PBD). In this case, apply 15y+AFD at the B-34 = A 1D/10 @ B-19.

UR-FM before LTG is applied from PLS or Point Ball Dead (PBD). In this case, apply 15y+AFD at the A-1 = A 1D/10 @ A-16.
OMG.

Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
You must be considering RTKicker and RTHolder to be one to have 3 roughings and not 4?
Yep RTK/H as one.