The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Florida water

Anyone use this to keep cool? Spirit of ammonia?
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
Anyone use this to keep cool? Spirit of ammonia?
Yes....I have used it. Works very well. A google search should find several references to how to mix the spirits of ammonia, ice , and water in the correct amounts to be most effective.

One thing that I have learned is that if you use this, it strips off sunscreen, so be sure to remember to re-apply.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Yes....I have used it. Works very well. A google search should find several references to how to mix the spirits of ammonia, ice , and water in the correct amounts to be most effective.

One thing that I have learned is that if you use this, it strips off sunscreen, so be sure to remember to re-apply.
How often do you apply/use?
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 05:13pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I used it years ago when I worked a LL Tournament. The host league provided it on all the fields for the umpires. I honestly don't know what it adds to the "coldness" of ice water.

I've got one of those cooling towels that I just keep in my ice chest along with my bottles of gatorade (hang the chest with a carbiner on the backstop or fence). Between innings, I'll take the towel and pull it around my neck, letting some of the excess water run down my back. Then I'll wipe my face and arms with it, and I'm good to go.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Wed Jul 19, 2017 at 05:15pm.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How often do you apply/use?
When I've used it, we had some towels in a bucket with ice and water and the spirits of ammonia. Use as often as you need to.

A wipe of your arms and the back of your neck refreshes and cools you. You can use it on your face, just be careful not to get it in your eyes and definitely don't drink it!

The Spirits of Ammonia are the liquid form of smelling salts. It accelerates the evaporating process of the water which is what creates the cooling effect.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Spirits of ammonia is hard to come by in certain places that no longer sell it over the counter.

If you are in an area where this is so, then try the next best alternative, called "Sea Breeze", that you can get anywhere, including Wal-Mart.

It is an astringent, that has the same effect (accelerates evaporation). Works extremely well with a Frog-Togg (chiily pad), by squirting some into the ice water. Same application, wipe down arms, face and neck. Really nice.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2017, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

2-2.5 gal cooler, fill with ice, cubes not crush
Add 1-2 ounces of Spirit of Ammonia
Add 1 gallon of water

Umpire should wipe down face, neck and any other exposed skin prior to applying.

If possible, each umpire should have their own towel (hand or dish).

Soak and wring out clean towel and place over head and let towel fall to side and pull over face. Or on back of neck and around to the face.

In spite of the "waterproof" claims of some sunscreens, I would reapply after use of florida water . If possible, try to keep water and towels as clean as possible.

Used this for 20+ years. Used to always carry a 2 oz bottle in my briefcase....until I got stopped at an airport because I had forgotten it was still there
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
2-2.5 gal cooler, fill with ice, cubes not crush
Add 1-2 ounces of Spirit of Ammonia
Add 1 gallon of water

Umpire should wipe down face, neck and any other exposed skin prior to applying.

If possible, each umpire should have their own towel (hand or dish).

Soak and wring out clean towel and place over head and let towel fall to side and pull over face. Or on back of neck and around to the face.

In spite of the "waterproof" claims of some sunscreens, I would reapply after use of florida water . If possible, try to keep water and towels as clean as possible.

Used this for 20+ years. Used to always carry a 2 oz bottle in my briefcase....until I got stopped at an airport because I had forgotten it was still there
Can this be used with the chill towels and left on for extended periods? Going to be a HOT one here in Texas this week.
Old Mon Jul 16, 2018, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can this be used with the chill towels and left on for extended periods? Going to be a HOT one here in Texas this week.
Couldn't tell you. This is more of a remedy, not a preventive action. For that matter, wouldn't bring it out at the beginning of the tournament
Old Mon Jul 23, 2018, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo View Post
Spirits of ammonia is hard to come by in certain places that no longer sell it over the counter.

If you are in an area where this is so, then try the next best alternative, called "Sea Breeze", that you can get anywhere, including Wal-Mart.

It is an astringent, that has the same effect (accelerates evaporation). Works extremely well with a Frog-Togg (chiily pad), by squirting some into the ice water. Same application, wipe down arms, face and neck. Really nice.
Spirits of ammonia can be ordered from CVS and Amazon online. Part of the role it plays in "Florida Water" is to keep the person alert when the are fatiguing. Sea Breeze is an astringent, so I do not see how it could lend these properties. Now it might serve the other purpose spirits of ammonia do, which is the concept of evaporative cooling.

However, with it readily available cheaply, I don't see any need to replace spirits of ammonia with anything.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.