The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Something's in the water

I had a coach not like the fact that I wouldn't let his players go through an opponent's arm to try to strip or tie up a ball that was cleanly rebounded. The team was down by 13 points in the fourth quarter and they started playing with reckless abandon.

When he asked why it was a foul, I told him that going through the arm was always going to be a foul. He responded with, "That's cause you're terrible."

Since last Tuesday, we've had 9 technical fouls in 6 games. 4 head coaches, 1 assistant coach, and 4 players.

What the he11 is in the water, anyway?

I still have three games this week and I'd be thrilled if those were quiet experiences.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Maybe he's right
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:21am
Do not give a damn!!

Like I said earlier, it is just that time of year. When you have teams know what they are at this time of year and their fate is sealed or figured out, then they take it out on us for every little minor thing. I have had a very rough week or two as well. Hope things get better for you and me.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:26am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Like I said earlier, it is just that time of year. When you have teams know what they are at this time of year and their fate is sealed or figured out, then they take it out on us for every little minor thing. I have had a very rough week or two as well. Hope things get better for you and me.

Peace
I still think that our road is made more difficult by officials who don't have a pretty well-defined line in the sand. I'm happy to talk to a coach anytime and answer any questions he has, but I'm not in this to be a doormat for the coaches, either.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 01:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Maybe he's right
Could be. I'd rather stay delusional, though, so I'll just whack all the ones who come out and try to pop my bubble.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 10:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Never so thrilled with a 48-22 game before. Both coaches were gentlemen and both teams played clean basketball. And we tipped at 7:45 and we were in the car driving away before 9.

The beer for tonight is Lake Louie Tommy Porter.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2012, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

6 technicals, including a double flagrant technical tonight.

Can I last another week of regular season? People are nuckin' futs!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 12:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Juco at 1, GV at 7:30 tomorrow. I'm hoping that my streak of sanity runs to 3 and isn't halted at 1.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

The more pressing question is; How was the Lake Louie?
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
I remember when you mentioned this about a week ago and I thought 'I hope he's wrong'. Nope. Hadn't called one all season, now four in three games.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

My solution for the past two weeks was to not talk to the coaches. Despite continuing with that, I had to whack two coaches this week for berating my partners. Still I'm convinced that talking to the coaches causes more problems than it helps prevent or stop.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 10:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLundagard View Post
The more pressing question is; How was the Lake Louie?
Outstanding, but not as good as the porter I got later last night at a place called the Hydro Street Brewing Company. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'll buy you a beer there.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
My solution for the past two weeks was to not talk to the coaches. Despite continuing with that, I had to whack two coaches this week for berating my partners. Still I'm convinced that talking to the coaches causes more problems than it helps prevent or stop.
It's possible I could've avoided Thursday's technical had I not talked to the coach, although with the escalating volume of his little rant, it was pretty hard to not do anything. I tried being civil and tried answering his questions, but he just wanted (I found out) to tell me how horrible I am. I could've just let him do that without trying to talk him off the ledge. The result would've been the same.

Oh, well. I see that it's not just me, but I can't remember it being this bad in previous years. Maybe I have selective memory.

I'm still amused that these coaches get to rate us and that some people think this rating counts for something. I'd love to rate some of these coaches.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2012, 04:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Easy first game. 80-something to about 30. Still a player got mouthy after a foul and drew a technical.

Now some lunch, a soak in the hot tub, and a HS game tonight.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2012, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

This is bad to admit to but I gave my first technical to a coach for the year tonight. He had been chirping most of the game about everything. About 3 min. into 3rd quarter he takes about 3 steps onto the court to ask me how I didn't call a foul from the T position for his player under the basket. I had had enough and "whacked" him. He said "Thank you, its about time." and I never heard another word.