The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 15, 2017, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

WTB Honig's K2 chest protector

Would like regular size. If there is a different section to put this in, please let me know.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2017, 09:29am
Stirrer of the Pot

Rumor has it that Honigs is no longer in business. You may have to check out eBay.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jul 17, 2017, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Theyre still in business just shut all of the retail shops except Colorado. Just spoke to the this morning checking warehouses one more time.

Last edited by bigdogtx; Mon Jul 17, 2017 at 10:41am.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2017, 08:30pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Rumor has it that Honigs is no longer in business. You may have to check out eBay.
They're still in business, but their customer service during and post-transition has been abysmal . They never did carry plate shoes for softball this spring. And, they somehow lost an order (as in having no record of it) for items I had tried to get later on in the spring season. No wonder they never filled it.

I'm glad our state switched to a different supplier for gear needing a state logo. For everything else, I found Ump Attire to be a very good site.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Found one at Honigs Europe. Size XL. Hope it fits my expectations.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
They're still in business, but their customer service during and post-transition has been abysmal . They never did carry plate shoes for softball this spring. And, they somehow lost an order (as in having no record of it) for items I had tried to get later on in the spring season. No wonder they never filled it.

I'm glad our state switched to a different supplier for gear needing a state logo. For everything else, I found Ump Attire to be a very good site.
From what I've heard they are still in business and some of the family of Mr. Honig is not happy about what has happened since his retirement. I know two members of his family as I was a regular customer of their Ann Arbor location. I teams coached ore previously coached by two of his children. One of them told me they feel the post-sale transition has been less than ideal and they have even gone away from the company that bought Honig's out after using Honig's for years to get work done on team equipment (shirts, ect).

I was caught off guard when I stopped in to get some equipment and found out they had closed the AA location.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogtx View Post
Found one at Honigs Europe. Size XL. Hope it fits my expectations.
More importantly, I hope it fits your chest. The Honig's FP Elite's are great chest protectors FOR THEIR DESIGNED PURPOSE. You give up some lower torso protection in exchange for increased mobility and comfort. The K2's are also better designed in the shoulder area, with a larger clavicle protector plate and a smaller gap between the clavicle and shoulder cup.

I should know: I wear the original FP Elite protector and I got smoked in the shoulder ten days ago (of course, right in the weakest spot of the entire protector) and I still have a purple bruise the size of a baseball.