The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 26, 2017, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Well, that goes without saying. Isn't that what its all about? We never stop learning and when we do why not pass it along?
Old Mon Jun 26, 2017, 04:43pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwally View Post
ok..I will try one more. On a dropped third strike the catcher is about to pick up the loose ball and the batter's follow through knocks the ball away from her as she is about to pick up
Need to read the rules on this for the various alphabets.

In USA Softball, Rule 7-4-I and Rule Supplement 24 says that if a batter swings and misses the pitch, and then on his/her follow-through hits the ball, or hits the ball after it bounces off the catcher or his/her mitt, then the ball is dead and runners cannot advance. If this happens on Strike 3, then the batter has interfered with a dropped third strike and she's out.

FED also has a rule, 8-2-7, that says a BR cannot interfere with a dropped third strike. They also have this case play:
Quote:
7.4.4 SITUATION D:

With R1 on third and R2 on first base, B3 swings and does not make contact with the ball. On her follow-through, the bat comes around and inadvertently knocks the ball out of the catcher's glove. The ball rolls up the line; R1 scores and R2 advances to second base.

RULING: Batter interference is called since the ball was in the catcher's glove; the act does not have to be intentional. B3 is out, the ball is dead and all runners return to the last base touched at the time of the interference.
NCAA Rule 11.14.3 also says a batter who hits the ball with her follow-through is a dead-ball strike, and if it's a third strike, she's out. If she hits the catcher's mitt and knocks the ball out of it, there is a case play that calls this "accidental interference", and no runners are allowed to advance.

For whatever reason, I cannot find anything that talks of the batter hitting the catcher's mitt and knocking the ball out in USA Softball.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Jun 26, 2017, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

WOW! Thanks Manny.. Thats what i was thinking when i posted the last question but really wasnt sure. I guess the natural duties
of the batter theory would not apply in that case and seems that it may not, in fact, apply when the batters follow through knocks the ball out of the catchers glove when there is a steal being attempted according to your quotes of the other rule sets. Thank you for that

Last edited by bigwally; Mon Jun 26, 2017 at 07:15pm.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2017, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Now that MannyA set us all straight with the proper interpretation according to the book, CecilOne and I both will have something to share with our next partner. I'm wondering if we now can all concur that the follow through, no matter how natural, can cause interference.

Last edited by bigwally; Wed Jun 28, 2017 at 01:26pm.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2017, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Need to read the rules on this for the various alphabets.

In USA Softball, Rule 7-4-I and Rule Supplement 24 says that if a batter swings and misses the pitch, and then on his/her follow-through hits the ball, or hits the ball after it bounces off the catcher or his/her mitt, then the ball is dead and runners cannot advance. If this happens on Strike 3, then the batter has interfered with a dropped third strike and she's out.

RS #24

C. If the batter swings at and missed the pitched ball but
1. Accidently hits it on the follow through, or
2. Intentionally hits it on a second swing, or
3. Hits the ball after it bounces off the catcher or mitt/glove.
The ball it dead and all runners must return to the based occupied at the time of the pitch (FP, SP w/stealing and 16"SP). In (2) and (3), if the act is intentional with runners on base, the batter is called out for interference. If this occurs on the third strike in FP, Rule 8, Section 2F has precedence.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2017, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I'm uncertain about how these fit together or separate.
----------------------------------------------------
The "actively" is something that is not a normal move while performing his/her duties in the batter's box. Attempting to strike the pitch is part of the duties of a batter and that includes the entire swing, from start to finish.
-------------------------------------------------------
The batter is permitted to swing at the ball and in most cases there is a follow-through associated with that swing. Unless you observe the batter do something out of the norm with that follow through, there is no violation.
------------------------------------------
In USA Softball, Rule 7-4-I and Rule Supplement 24 says that if a batter swings and misses the pitch, and then on his/her follow-through hits the ball, or hits the ball after it bounces off the catcher or his/her mitt, then the ball is dead and runners cannot advance.
------------------------------------------------------------
I guess the natural duties
of the batter theory would not apply in that case and seems that it may not, in fact, apply when the batters follow through knocks the ball out of the catchers glove when there is a steal being attempted according to your quotes of the other rule sets.
---------------------------------------------------------
RS #24

C. If the batter swings at and missed the pitched ball but
1. Accidently hits it on the follow through, or
2. Intentionally hits it on a second swing, or
3. Hits the ball after it bounces off the catcher or mitt/glove.
The ball it dead and all runners must return to the based occupied at the time of the pitch (FP, SP w/stealing and 16"SP). In (2) and (3), if the act is intentional with runners on base, the batter is called out for interference
----------------------------------------------------------------------

????

Last edited by CecilOne; Thu Jun 29, 2017 at 10:35am.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2017, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

The batter did not hit the ball. The catcher threw the ball, which hit the bat.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2017, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpteenth View Post
The batter did not hit the ball. The catcher threw the ball, which hit the bat.
The last few comments were not about the OP. We went off an a tangent starting with post #17.
Old Sun Jul 02, 2017, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

That's right. We were taking the OP to the next few levels to establish that the follow through can ,indeed, cause interference in some situations. Now, claiming ignorance, I was always under the impression that 'actively' meant just that, being in physical motion. The concensus seems to understand that 'actively' means 'something unusual' or out of the norm. Who's interpretation is this? Where did it come from and when was that established? Is there a case play? Is it printed somewhere for all of us to see and learn from? If not, it should be
Old Sun Jul 02, 2017, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's right. We were taking the OP to the next few levels to establish that the follow through can ,indeed, cause interference in some situations. Now, claiming ignorance, I was always under the impression that 'actively' meant just that, being in physical motion. The consensus seems to understand that 'actively' means 'something unusual' or out of the norm. Who's interpretation is this? Where did it come from and when was that established? Is there a case play? Is it printed somewhere for all of us to see and learn from? If not, it should be
It came from the people who wrote it and recommended passage in Colorado Springs in 2006. The word "actively" replaced the word "intentionally" and the word "standing" (in the batter's box) was deleted to avoid the debate that a batter was not "standing" if they were moving in the batter's box.

Before those amendments were applied, all committees except the Umpires had rejected the change out of fear the catcher could just hit the batter with the ball or do just about and claim the batter hindered his/her ability to make a play on a runner. I could be wrong, but I believe Steve R (Utah) provided the word "actively". With the amendment, the Rules Committee approved the change and was adopted on the floor of the General Council.

At the end of this meeting, the basic instruction as it pertained to the removal of the word "intentional" or a derivative of it, was for the umpire to call the plays somewhat the same as they had before, just that now there was no question of the umpire determining nor requiring intent. There was an emphasis placed on there being an "act" of interference being required.

An example of that was given at the subsequent UIC clinic with a runner advancing from 1st to 2nd on a ground ball and F4 throwing to 1B in an attempt to complete a double play. The runner from 1st a) attempted to advance toward 2nd and was hit by the throw; b) fell down a couple steps off 1st base and then stood up in front of the throw which hit him.

The ruling was in a) the runner was simply attempting to advance to 2nd base, no INT and the ball remains live. In b), the runner popped up into the path of the ball which was considered an "act" of INT, the ball is dead and the runner closest to home is declared out.

There are probably a couple others on this board who were also there and may/should correct anything I missed or remembered incorrectly
Old Sun Jul 02, 2017, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
It came from the people who wrote it and recommended passage in Colorado Springs in 2006. The word "actively" replaced the word "intentionally" and the word "standing" (in the batter's box) was deleted to avoid the debate that a batter was not "standing" if they were moving in the batter's box.

Before those amendments were applied, all committees except the Umpires had rejected the change out of fear the catcher could just hit the batter with the ball or do just about and claim the batter hindered his/her ability to make a play on a runner. I could be wrong, but I believe Steve R (Utah) provided the word "actively". With the amendment, the Rules Committee approved the change and was adopted on the floor of the General Council.

At the end of this meeting, the basic instruction as it pertained to the removal of the word "intentional" or a derivative of it, was for the umpire to call the plays somewhat the same as they had before, just that now there was no question of the umpire determining nor requiring intent. There was an emphasis placed on there being an "act" of interference being required.

An example of that was given at the subsequent UIC clinic with a runner advancing from 1st to 2nd on a ground ball and F4 throwing to 1B in an attempt to complete a double play. The runner from 1st a) attempted to advance toward 2nd and was hit by the throw; b) fell down a couple steps off 1st base and then stood up in front of the throw which hit him.

The ruling was in a) the runner was simply attempting to advance to 2nd base, no INT and the ball remains live. In b), the runner popped up into the path of the ball which was considered an "act" of INT, the ball is dead and the runner closest to home is declared out.

There are probably a couple others on this board who were also there and may/should correct anything I missed or remembered incorrectly
As IrishMafia knows, I was an active and voting member of the ASA Playing Rules Committee at that time; and also participated in the subsequent UIC Clinic. I agree with his analysis, and would only add that "normal" is not necessarily the same as "routine". The primary purpose of the rules changes were to eliminate "intentionally", disregard what motive or mindset any player may have, and simply rule if the action wasn't part of the game rules and constitutes interference.

The batter is effectively protected from interference to either attempt to hit the pitched ball (including any appropriate actions done), or to hold ground while NOT attempting to hit the ball. The batter is NOT protected if taking an action NOT involved in those two categories.

So a normal hitting action and a normal follow thru are not interference; an exaggerated swing or follow thru that really aren't an attempt to hit the ball, or a swing AFTER the ball has passed, to assist a stealing runner could be judged interference. Rule on the action, if there is a play, not what you think the batter was "trying" to do.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2017, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

That is excellent information and understandable. My issue is how are fellow umpires supposed to know that 'actively' has an ambiguous meaning? Unless any of us were at that meeting, we would have no idea what the intent of that word is meant to be and left with no alternative but to take that word at face value. If there isn't a case play, there should be. If it isn't in rules and clarifications, it should be. Do you know if it is in fact, provided in either of these resources and I am just missing it?

Last edited by bigwally; Mon Jul 03, 2017 at 09:32am.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2017, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is excellent information and understandable. My issue is how are fellow umpires supposed to know that 'actively' has an ambiguous meaning? Unless any of us were at that meeting, we would have no idea what the intent of that word is meant to be and left with no alternative but to take that word at face value. If there isn't a case play, there should be. If it isn't in rules and clarifications, it should be. Do you know if it is in fact, provided in either of these resources and I am just missing it?
That's exactly the reason that ASA holds the UIC clinics; to first teach the UIC's and trainers, whose responsibility it is to teach and pass the word to the rank and file members.

That leaves just two possible reasons why fellow umpires might not know; either your UIC's aren't doing their job, or you aren't attending the clinics they are holding. Adding case plays won't fix either of those.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2017, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

I am still finding I a bit ambiguous about the swing follow through hitting ball or catcher being INT and any natural part of the swing not being INT.

"In USA Softball, Rule 7-4-I and Rule Supplement 24 says that if a batter swings and misses the pitch, and then on his/her follow-through hits the ball, or hits the ball after it bounces off the catcher or his/her mitt, then the ball is dead and runners cannot advance. "

AND

"So a normal hitting action and a normal follow thru are not interference"
Old Mon Jul 03, 2017, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

As Celil One says, there is a lot of ambiguity and contradiction here and since I've been to three national clinics in the last 10 years, 2 in Ohio and one in Pennsylvania, and numerous local clinics, attending the clinics isnt the issue. These clinics were led by some of the 'biggest' names in ASA (USA) and even the big names couldn't agree on some of the rules, interpretations or mechanics. Finally, even on this forum a few of the 'respected' opinions cant agree and have even given conflicting information making it quite clear that there is a lot of confusion on the subject from pretty much the top down. I would say given that many more umpires read case plays, rule books and the rules and clarifications section on the website than attend national clinics and/or perhaps local clinics, i would respectfully disagree that formulating a case play, posting in rules and clarifications or augmenting the language in the rule book wouldn't be helpful

Last edited by bigwally; Mon Jul 03, 2017 at 10:16pm.