The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Bunt hits batter!!!

Had this situation in a C-team game the other night. R1, batter attempts bunt, ball strikes in front of plate, comes straight up and hits batter-runner as he's leaving the box. I immediately call foul ball. Head coach of defensive team comes out to challenge the call. I immediately give him the stop sign to wait as I feel that I need to ask for help from my partner help. I ask my partner and he tells me that the batter was half in-half out of the batters box. With this information, I change my call to batter-runner out. Now I have the other head coach coming out, I tell him that the batter was hit out of the box and says that there is no way my partner can help with this call because of his location. "B" position. After the half inning, his assistant, who claims to also be an umpire where he lives, claims that there is a little rule that states that as long as the batter still has one foot in the batters box, he is considered to still be in foul territory, making it a foul ball. I don't agree with that, couldn't find it in the Fed. rule book. Just looking for some insight from y'all. Thanks.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Half in half out to me means he had one foot in the box when the bunted ball bounced up and touched him. One foot in equals foul ball.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

1/2 in 1/2 out - you don't need a rule book for that! FOUL BALL!
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

FED 8.4.1B could be read to imply that if the batter has one foot out of the box, the batter is out of the box.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Generally speaking, when the batter is hit with the ball in this manner and he is partially in the box, you call it foul.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

You can really save yourself a lot of grief by calling foul ball. If the batter is partly in the box just call foul. Unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure he is out of the box, then call him out. As far as my partner, I tell him during pregame if you see it hit him and are sure come up yelling foul.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

By rule it is where the ball is when it hits him. If the ball is in fair territory, he's out. By tradition, any ball striking the batter who is still in the box is foul.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 06:29pm
BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
By rule it is where the ball is when it hits him. If the ball is in fair territory, he's out. By tradition, any ball striking the batter who is still in the box is foul.
WRONG - Try 7-2-1f

SECTION 2 STRIKES, BALLS AND HITS
ART. 1... A strike is charged to the batter when:

f. a batted ball contacts the batter in the batter's box (foul ball).
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy
WRONG - Try 7-2-1f

SECTION 2 STRIKES, BALLS AND HITS
ART. 1... A strike is charged to the batter when:

f. a batted ball contacts the batter in the batter's box (foul ball).
Define what constitute being in the batter's box.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewthatone
As far as my partner, I tell him during pregame if you see it hit him and are sure come up yelling foul.
If the BU sees the B/R get hit with the a batted ball he should call "time". You'd have a lot of explaining to do if he called "foul" as you were declaring the B/R out for being hit with a fair ball.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Part of the front corner of each box is in fair territory so if he is struck in the box it is foul, even if the ball was in that front corner in fair territory. If he is struck by a batted ball that is in front of the plate and either foot is on the ground outside the box as it would likely be if he is trying to run to 1B and I have an out. If he inadvertently kicks a fair ball in front of the plate while coming out of the box I have an out. Contact was made with a fair ball while not in the box. If he had one foot out of the box on the ground when he bunted the ball he would be out so I don't see why he wouldn't be out if contact is made with a fair ball that is in front of the plate with one foot in and one foot out.

Last edited by DG; Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 06:54am.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
If the BU sees the B/R get hit with the a batted ball he should call "time". You'd have a lot of explaining to do if he called "foul" as you were declaring the B/R out for being hit with a fair ball.
Maybe I should have clarified that if I have not come up with anything yet on the play and BU sees it to call it.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG
I immediately call foul ball. Head coach of defensive team comes out to challenge the call. I immediately give him the stop sign to wait as I feel that I need to ask for help from my partner help.
Why? You called foul ball. The play is dead, and you can't change it.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

I say he is in the box until he is completly out of the box. Foul Ball.
Old Thu Apr 05, 2007, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
Why? You called foul ball. The play is dead, and you can't change it.

Thank you.