The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 14, 2017, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

shaking hands after the game

After a fed softball game Saturday my partner for the game, who happened to do the plate for the final game, got in line with the players and shook everyone's hand. I had never seen anyone do this. I was always taught to disappear as quickly as possible after the game. Does anyone do this?
Old Sun May 14, 2017, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Nope, meet my partner and leave the field. If a coach or player seeks me out to shake my hand I will oblige but I do not seek them out to shake hands after the game.
Old Sun May 14, 2017, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

I walk off the field through the winner's dugout with my partners. If they are slow, I wait. We walk on the field as a crew, work as a crew, and leave as a crew. If possible, on the way past the teams, I say "Thanks, coach" and keep going.

I have seen some handshakers in my day, usually high school umpires. No offense to them, but in by observations, it's usually the guy with 25+ years of 2nd-year umpiring doing it.
Old Sun May 14, 2017, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a HS game last week with a Rookie,
When it was over I saw him on the field observing the high 5's of the 2 teams.
I put a stop to that real fast and ushered him off the field.
He felt we should be there in case some trouble started.
I told him that is why we do not want to be there.
Get off ASAP thru the winning dugout.
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
After a fed softball game Saturday my partner for the game, who happened to do the plate for the final game, got in line with the players and shook everyone's hand. I had never seen anyone do this. I was always taught to disappear as quickly as possible after the game. Does anyone do this?
That is so wrong in so many ways
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

There are also the teams where the players practically chase you down as you are leaving to try to shake hands & say thanks... I wave & acknowledge the "thanks" while continuing to try to leave, or at worst, a quick fist bump if the crowd of players won't let you quietly leave (as happens sometimes).
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

I did a game 10+ years ago with a guy I never met ... if I recall he did OK. But after the game while the girls were shaking hands he went to the circle and declared "Thank you girls, I enjoyed sharing the field with you!". Then he turned to home plate and said "Thank you fans for a great game!". Then he (we) left.

Weird.
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I'm sitting here wondering which line did he join to shake hands? The winning or losing team's line?

I watched a high school game a few nights ago. A young lady was the field ump during the varsity game and PU during the JV. I noticed that she was doing a very good job and was very professional. I ended up in a conversation with a guy standing behind the screen who kind of looked like he was a loner. I asked "which one is your kid"? He pointed to her. It was her dad. I highly respected that. I didn't pry, but I could tell they had a pre-set exit strategy for her to leave the game, and he was there to make sure that went very smoothly.