The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 02, 2002, 08:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Do any of you have a problem with a player trying to shake your hand or give "dap" right before the tipoff.

Does it matter it is during the summer or during the regular season for you?

It seems kind of unprofessional to me, but that does not mean it is wrong.

Peace
Old Sun Jun 02, 2002, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I don't seek players out, but if they approach me to shake hands before a game, I have no problem doing it.
Old Sun Jun 02, 2002, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

No problem at all. I think it is good sportsmanship.

Z
Old Sun Jun 02, 2002, 10:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Must clarify.

I do not mean shaking hands with each other or other players, I mean with you as an official?

What if one player approaches you and a player on the other team does not, what do you do?
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

I have actually had it happen many times, and it has always been jsut a quick handshake and sign of sportsmanship at the high school and below, with never a problem. I have had problems when I have worked adults, mainly men, and avoid handshakes where possible in both basketball and soccer now, at any level above high school age.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Re: Must clarify.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I do not mean shaking hands with each other or other players, I mean with you as an official?

What if one player approaches you and a player on the other team does not, what do you do?
Simple, I shake their hand. I'm not sure that there is a good reason not to. If I didn't, that would definitely appear to them that I think I am better than them.

Not the perception I want to exude.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't have a problem with this at all. When I officiated soccer, my association commissioner instructed us to not shake hands with the players. Personally, I thought this was not the right thing to do because it looked like we were better than them. It also makes you look kinda dumb when the player is standing there with their hand out to you.

Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 06:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Do any of you have a problem with a player trying to shake your hand or give "dap" right before the tipoff.

Does it matter it is during the summer or during the regular season for you?

It seems kind of unprofessional to me, but that does not mean it is wrong.

Peace
Rut,
If anyone offers, I will not refuse, but as an official, I will not initiate the contact with a player or fan.
mick
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I was clear on that. As I said, I think it shows good sportsmanship when players acknowledge the referees before the game.

I couldn't care less. It's up to them. During the high school season, many coaches around here have the players run over to shake hands with the ref during pre-game introductions. Others don't. It's a non-issue.

Z
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 09:36am
Esteemed Participant

Is there a reason for this question?? I mean, have there been problems somewhere because a player ran up and shook hands with an official before the game? I am with the others on this - I won't initiate it, but if a player comes up and wants to shake, then smile and shake and get on with it...
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 11:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb No specific reason.

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Is there a reason for this question?? I mean, have there been problems somewhere because a player ran up and shook hands with an official before the game? I am with the others on this - I won't initiate it, but if a player comes up and wants to shake, then smile and shake and get on with it...
Yeah, the reason for the question is to see what others think. Nothing happen to spark up the question, just something I was thinking about and wanted to know what others do and think about the situation.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Agree, shake hands. How would it look if you declined to do so? You know, shaking hands came about some time ago as a way of showing that one had no weapons in his hands. By declining to shake hands might not look so good (especially if it is out on the floor)
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

My best experience with this was at a 6th grade game.
When the starting line ups were announced, one coach had his players go down the bench and shake the opposing coach's hand before heading onto the court.
After the game was over, the same coach required his players to immediately shake our hands and thank us for doing the game. This made it a little tough to get out of there, but I liked the lesson the coach was teaching.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

It is more common among the smaller schools here and more common with girls teams than boys.

No problem with it.

They usually swing by us as they are announcing the line-ups and do a real quick shake....sometimes continuing on to shake the opposing coach's hand too.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thinking back on the last couple seasons of High School ball, I think that I have had at least one player every game shake my hand. I look at it as a player that has been brought up to show persons in authority respect. It also shows good sportmanship.

AK ref SE