The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

High school softball - legal equipment to wear college logo hat when pitching?

Is it legal equipment in NFHS (Ohio) softball for a fielder to wear a hat with a college logo on the front? Last night the opposing pitcher had a red hat with a big, black block "O".
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

Per 3-2-5, yes it is legal.

ART. 5 . . . Headwear (caps, visors, headbands, ribbons, etc.) may be mixed. If worn, they must be white, black, beige or school colors (the colors are not required to be the same for team members). The logo may be any color. Flat items, no longer than 2 inches, used to control the hair, such as bobby pins, barrettes and hair clips, are permitted. Plastic visors, bandannas and hair-beads are prohibited.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

and in obvious good taste, as well
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
Per 3-2-5, yes it is legal.

ART. 5 . . . Headwear (caps, visors, headbands, ribbons, etc.) may be mixed. If worn, they must be white, black, beige or school colors (the colors are not required to be the same for team members). The logo may be any color. Flat items, no longer than 2 inches, used to control the hair, such as bobby pins, barrettes and hair clips, are permitted. Plastic visors, bandannas and hair-beads are prohibited.
Thank you for the rule book reference. I had read that during the game. What I was not certain about was the reference to "logo" in "The logo may be any color." It was not a logo of her school. It was an Ohio State logo.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 07:38am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetoy71 View Post
Thank you for the rule book reference. I had read that during the game. What I was not certain about was the reference to "logo" in "The logo may be any color." It was not a logo of her school. It was an Ohio State logo.
Under NFHS Rule 3-2-3, the only restrictions on logos involve the sizes of manufacturer's logos. A player cannot have a hat that has a huge Nike swoosh, for example. Any other kind of logo, such as school letters, mascots, etc., are not restricted.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 09:21am
Administrator

Quote:
Is it legal equipment in NFHS (Ohio) softball for a fielder to wear a hat with a college logo on the front? Last night the opposing pitcher had a red hat with a big, black block "O".
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
and in obvious good taste, as well
Quote:

And it darn well better be an Ohio State logo! LOL! Because the only other acceptable logo would be Youngstown State! Go Penguins!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Apr 28, 2017, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

I'll kick in with the same answer that I gave on the other forum...

For a really nit-picky uniform rule, the uniform may have only one manufacturer's logo. If the jerseys are, say, Under Armour, and the hat is Nike...well, that would be two logos and one of them would have to go.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2017, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Better answer...

If it's an Ohio State hat, then it's legal. If, however, it's a Michigan hat, the player is ejected!
Old Fri Apr 28, 2017, 12:38pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
For a really nit-picky uniform rule, the uniform may have only one manufacturer's logo. If the jerseys are, say, Under Armour, and the hat is Nike...well, that would be two logos and one of them would have to go.
Boy, THAT'S really picking nits. I've never bothered to look at players' that closely to see if they have different logos on different uniform parts, especially when things like caps, visors, undershirts and socks are typically personal items. If a coach ever complained to me that the opposing team had Nike shirts and Mizuno pants, I'd ask to see his proof of completing the courses on Concussion in Sports, Fundamentals of Coaching, and Heat Illness Prevention, which is required of coaches in our state.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Apr 28, 2017, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Let me ask a question of you guys on this subject. For years, I've watched a lot of local coaches and umpires tell little tiny girls "You can't wear that camouflage pattern really bright pink fielder's mask if you pitch when you're older." Have you guys ever had a coach insist that an older (middle school or high school for example) pitcher remove one of those bright potentially-distracting masks and put on a more uniform colored mask? Or maybe they had something distracting attached to the mask? Obviously, most older kids grow out of those crazy masks as they get older, but is this just sort of an urban legend? I've looked at the NFHS rule book, and it just mentions clothing, not the mask.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2017, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Boy, THAT'S really picking nits. I've never bothered to look at players' that closely to see if they have different logos on different uniform parts, especially when things like caps, visors, undershirts and socks are typically personal items. If a coach ever complained to me that the opposing team had Nike shirts and Mizuno pants, I'd ask to see his proof of completing the courses on Concussion in Sports, Fundamentals of Coaching, and Heat Illness Prevention, which is required of coaches in our state.
Yeah, I think that maybe I wouldn't even notice this. But which is crazier- enforcing this rule or the fact that the NFHS even wrote a rule like this in the first place!
Old Fri Apr 28, 2017, 10:19pm
Administrator

Quote:
Better answer...

If it's an Ohio State hat, then it's legal. If, however, it's a Michigan hat, the player is ejected!

I concur 100%!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 06:36am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
Let me ask a question of you guys on this subject. For years, I've watched a lot of local coaches and umpires tell little tiny girls "You can't wear that camouflage pattern really bright pink fielder's mask if you pitch when you're older." Have you guys ever had a coach insist that an older (middle school or high school for example) pitcher remove one of those bright potentially-distracting masks and put on a more uniform colored mask? Or maybe they had something distracting attached to the mask? Obviously, most older kids grow out of those crazy masks as they get older, but is this just sort of an urban legend? I've looked at the NFHS rule book, and it just mentions clothing, not the mask.
The rules typically give umpires the wherewithal to have a pitcher remove something that the umpire feels is distracting. If a coach came to me and said, "Blue, her mask has a camouflage pattern that bothers my batter's," chances are I will let her pitch with it and tell the coach to go away.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll kick in with the same answer that I gave on the other forum...

Rule: 3-2-3

ART. 3 . . . The school's official uniform (including uniform jersey, and/or pants/shorts/skirts, etc., visible undergarments, socks, stockings, caps and headwear) may bear only a single manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference (partial or whole) that does not exceed 2¼ square inches with no dimension exceeding 2¼ inches on each item.

That is nit-picky ... who cares!
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
Rule: 3-2-3

ART. 3 . . . The school's official uniform (including uniform jersey, and/or pants/shorts/skirts, etc., visible undergarments, socks, stockings, caps and headwear) may bear only a single manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference (partial or whole) that does not exceed 2¼ square inches with no dimension exceeding 2¼ inches on each item.

That is nit-picky ... who cares!
Apparently NFHS