The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 22, 2017, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

USA & NFHS 3-ump mechanics question

Over the years, I've received conflicting inputs and "training" from various sources on this one matter.

In a 3-ump system when the crew is "all in", is there a "holding zone" for the PU?

Thanx.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

The holding zone is a place where an umpire that has possible responsibility for more than one base would go while waiting for a play to develop to determine which base to cover in a primary position. While I'm not familiar with the term "all in", doesn't the PU in 3 man always have ONLY 3rd (full rotation) or home (counter-rotated) if no one chases?

Unless I'm missing something, there is no temporary holding zone, you cover YOUR base.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
The holding zone is a place where an umpire that has possible responsibility for more than one base would go while waiting for a play to develop to determine which base to cover in a primary position. While I'm not familiar with the term "all in", doesn't the PU in 3 man always have ONLY 3rd (full rotation) or home (counter-rotated) if no one chases?

Unless I'm missing something, there is no temporary holding zone, you cover YOUR base.
Thanx, Steve.

The "all in" term is what was taught at a couple of National Schools that I attended. As you alluded to, it's a situation where no base umpire chases. Our given protocol was that the PU would yell "all in" to indicate the crew remained in 3-ump mechanics. (Not in all instances, but when a base ump might have chased.)

In some local training for both USA & NFHS, trainers would continue to reference the holding zone for the PU in instances where the crew would go into rotation.

My understanding is how you've described the PU's base responsibilities. PU is covering 3rd or home depending upon the situation.

Hoping to clear up some of this confusion locally.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Thanx, Steve.

The "all in" term is what was taught at a couple of National Schools that I attended. As you alluded to, it's a situation where no base umpire chases. Our given protocol was that the PU would yell "all in" to indicate the crew remained in 3-ump mechanics. (Not in all instances, but when a base ump might have chased.)
Have never heard the term at any level of school or clinic whether a student, observer or instructor/clinician.
Quote:

In some local training for both USA & NFHS, trainers would continue to reference the holding zone for the PU in instances where the crew would go into rotation.

My understanding is how you've described the PU's base responsibilities. PU is covering 3rd or home depending upon the situation.

Hoping to clear up some of this confusion locally.
Sounds like MSU mechanics given by local clinicians.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

I agree with what Steve has said. There is no holding zone in 3 umpire mechanics when no umpire chases. The plate umpire either moves to a calling positon in fair territory at 3B (when rotating) or stays at home (when there is no rotation).

I think where some confusion comes from is when an umpire chases in a 3 umpire system, the remaining 2 umpires revert to 2 umpire mechanics. In this case there is a holding zone as the plate umpire is responsible for a play on a lead runner at 3B or any play at home.

So if the crew remains with all three umpires inside the diamond(no umpire chases) there is no holding zone, every umpire moves directly to their calling position. IF an umpire chases a fly ball, the remaining crew is in 2 umpire mechanics and there is a holding zone for the plate umpire.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:

The "holding zone" is a 2 ump term and concept.
As said, it does not exist in 3 ump and your locals should realize that it might mislead those who are learning the system.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 12:54pm
Stirrer of the Pot

I know you mentioned NFHS and USA. But the CCA Manual for college ball does call the area in front of the circle as the "holding area" for the PU. There are times when he/she moves to that holding area when nobody chases. For example, with nobody on base, on a base hit to the outfield, the PU moves to the front of the circle initially, and then as the BR approaches second base, he/she moves to the primary position for a play at third.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sat Mar 25, 2017, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Over the years, I've received conflicting inputs and "training" from various sources on this one matter.

In a 3-ump system when the crew is "all in", is there a "holding zone" for the PU?

Thanx.
No there is not a holding zone.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2017, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

IMHO, there is always a holding zone available regardless of the number of umpires on the field. Just because the mechanical instructions do not direct the umpire to to a holding zone does not mean it does not exist.

We are not always be motion. We do not automatically go from point a to point b without observing the unfolding play including the action of all players and partners. Sometimes that needs to be done prior to determining a direction.

As noted, JMHO