View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 23, 2017, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
The holding zone is a place where an umpire that has possible responsibility for more than one base would go while waiting for a play to develop to determine which base to cover in a primary position. While I'm not familiar with the term "all in", doesn't the PU in 3 man always have ONLY 3rd (full rotation) or home (counter-rotated) if no one chases?

Unless I'm missing something, there is no temporary holding zone, you cover YOUR base.
Thanx, Steve.

The "all in" term is what was taught at a couple of National Schools that I attended. As you alluded to, it's a situation where no base umpire chases. Our given protocol was that the PU would yell "all in" to indicate the crew remained in 3-ump mechanics. (Not in all instances, but when a base ump might have chased.)

In some local training for both USA & NFHS, trainers would continue to reference the holding zone for the PU in instances where the crew would go into rotation.

My understanding is how you've described the PU's base responsibilities. PU is covering 3rd or home depending upon the situation.

Hoping to clear up some of this confusion locally.