Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Courtesy Runner

NF

Lets say #30 gets establish as the CR for the catcher(F2).

In the bottom of the 4th, the coach subs #15 for the catcher(F2). #15 hits a double, can the coach now CR #30 for #15?

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

I am assuming the sub was to pinch hit for the catcher. If that is the case, no, the sub is not entitled to a courtesy runner as they were not the last person to physically play the position. The pitcher and catcher must bat for themselves in order to be eligible for a courtesy runner.

The only time a pitcher and catcher can have a courtesy runner without having physically played the position is the visiting team in the top half of the first inning, and then they are the players designated to play those positions on the lineup card. If they do use a courtesy runner, then they must face at least the first batter for one pitch in the bottom half of the first inning.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2017, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by agr8zebra View Post
NF

Lets say #30 gets establish as the CR for the catcher(F2).

In the bottom of the 4th, the coach subs #15 for the catcher(F2). #15 hits a double, can the coach now CR #30 for #15?
If it was as a pinch hitter, see above.

If not, and #15 played the position, then yes the same #30 can be her CR.

.................................................. .............
Added by edit:

Also, if the original catcher pitches, the same #30 may not be her CR.

CR is about position, not player.

Last edited by CecilOne; Fri Mar 03, 2017 at 11:26am.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
The only time a pitcher and catcher can have a courtesy runner ...
What about ITB?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
What about ITB?
What about, another inning or two in the same game using the TBR?

Last edited by CecilOne; Mon Mar 06, 2017 at 11:47am.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2017, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
What about another inning or two in the same game using the TBR?
I thank you. We all have personal peeves; one of mine is renaming any rules set Tie Breaker Rule as ITB, which actually is only accurate when playing in International competition. For most rules sets, the rule is identical to the international rule (although many misstate it), but that doesn't make anything more than that rules set Tie Breaker Rule.

As to the question related to tie breaker innings, the earlier statements still apply. The pitcher and catcher of record at the end of the prior half inning are eligible for a courtesy runner; even when they "earn" their way on base by virtue of being the last batter scheduled in this inning.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2017, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I thank you. We all have personal peeves; one of mine is renaming any rules set Tie Breaker Rule as ITB, which actually is only accurate when playing in International competition. For most rules sets, the rule is identical to the international rule (although many misstate it), but that doesn't make anything more than that rules set Tie Breaker Rule.
Perhaps now would be a good time to reopen the ground rule double debate?
Old Fri Mar 17, 2017, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

For USA Adult slow pitch.

Did the rule book 8, Section 9 get messed up?

Rule change last year was:

Rule 8 Section 9B2: (All Adult Slow Pitch except Seniors) Any eligible player on the official line-up including available substitutes may be used as a courtesy runner. A courtesy runner may be used once per inning.

The highlighted area in red is not included in the 2017 publication.

Also, B.1 claims that unlimited CRs are allowed. I think that applies to Masters/Seniors.

One of our leagues is considering changes to their CR bylaws making things more restrictive. They didn't invoke the ASA change last year and they're still having issues with "perceived unsportsmanlike switches" involving CRs. (Slow runner all of a sudden has a sore hammie.)

I was going to tell them to go read the rule, but the 2017 version is now confusing.

Anyone have the skinny on this? I'm assuming it was just an oversight.

Thanx.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2017, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Did I miss something? If 30 was established as the CR for the catcher (whatever their number) then they are tied to the "position" I thought. If someone subs and comes in to catch for the original catcher, 30 is still the courtesy runner for the catcher, right? Did the coach say the sub was for the catcher, number XX?
Old Sun Mar 19, 2017, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linknblue View Post
Did I miss something? If 30 was established as the CR for the catcher (whatever their number) then they are tied to the "position" I thought. If someone subs and comes in to catch for the original catcher, 30 is still the courtesy runner for the catcher, right? Did the coach say the sub was for the catcher, number XX?
Not sure of your question, but please reread posts 2 & 3, and ask in those terms.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 11:41am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
You are correct.

However, in the OP, it sounds like #15 came in in the bottom of the 4th to pinch-hit for the original catcher. Since #15 didn't play the catcher position in the top-half of the 4th (at least we assume she didn't), then she isn't eligible for a courtesy runner.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 21, 2017, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
You are correct.

However, in the OP, it sounds like #15 came in in the bottom of the 4th to pinch-hit for the original catcher. Since #15 didn't play the catcher position in the top-half of the 4th (at least we assume she didn't), then she isn't eligible for a courtesy runner.
We know the OP is not clear. Figure your ruling based on the two alternatives as described in posts 2 and 3