The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 26, 2017, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS unreported sub penalty

Not wanting to hijack the "clarification" thread...

I attended an NFHS rules discussion today. At one point we were discussing substitutions and re-entries.

I won't get my rule, umpires', and case books until next week, so going mostly by memory. This is specific to the penalty for unreported subs.

Two examples:

Bottom of the 7th, tie game. Unreported S1 hits an over the fence HR. Once she scores, the defense protests that she is an unreported sub.

Bottom of the 7th, visitors up by 1 run; 2 outs; R1 on 1B. B4 hits a long fly ball to the outfield fence where unreported sub playing F8 leaps up at the fence and catches the ball for the final out. The ball would have clearly gone over the fence had she not caught it. Before the umpires leave the field, the offense protests that F8 is an unreported sub.

Game over in each case or not?

Application of penalty(ies) moot or not?

Feel free to include/compare to USA and/or NCAA.

Thanx.
Old Mon Feb 27, 2017, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Not wanting to hijack the "clarification" thread...

I attended an NFHS rules discussion today. At one point we were discussing substitutions and re-entries.

I won't get my rule, umpires', and case books until next week, so going mostly by memory. This is specific to the penalty for unreported subs.

Two examples:

Bottom of the 7th, tie game. Unreported S1 hits an over the fence HR. Once she scores, the defense protests that she is an unreported sub.

Bottom of the 7th, visitors up by 1 run; 2 outs; R1 on 1B. B4 hits a long fly ball to the outfield fence where unreported sub playing F8 leaps up at the fence and catches the ball for the final out. The ball would have clearly gone over the fence had she not caught it. Before the umpires leave the field, the offense protests that F8 is an unreported sub.

Game over in each case or not?

Application of penalty(ies) moot or not?

Feel free to include/compare to USA and/or NCAA.

Thanx.
You are correct, the penalty for unreported sub in NFHS is a team warning for the first incident. In both case plays, the action stands and the game is over.

However, different in USA and NCAA; the games would not be over.

On offense, the batter is out and runner advance is nullified if discovered after the bat and before the next pitch (USA); NCAA is the same, with additional stipulation - batter is out if at bat (with a count). In both cases, the sub (or unreported re-entry) is now in the game.

On defense, since the unreported sub made the play, the play is nullified for both USA and NCAA. In both cases, the sub (or unreported re-entry), is in the game.

Additionally (and I'm sure there will be a big discussion about this): USA and NCAA allow the offending team to rectify the unreported sub without penalty. However, NFHS rules does not provide the offending team any measure to rectify. If the unreported sub (or reentry) plays, once discovered, there is a team warning. For example, sub 1 comes to bat unreported. After two pitches, the offensive coach calls time to inform PU about the sub. PU should make the change and then give the offensive team a warning.

Last edited by Big Slick; Mon Feb 27, 2017 at 10:29am.