The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

New USA (ASA) Uniforms

Interested to hear what associations are doing in regards to the new USA (ASA) uniforms.

Are umpires being required to have the new uniform for this season?

Is your association allowing a grace period where you can wear either uniform and has a mandatory date in the future that you must have the new one?

We are trying to decide what to do here and just wanted to get some feedback on what others are doing.

Thanks
Mark
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-blue View Post
Interested to hear what associations are doing in regards to the new USA (ASA) uniforms.

Is your association allowing a grace period where you can wear either uniform and has a mandatory date in the future that you must have the new one?

We are trying to decide what to do here and just wanted to get some feedback on what others are doing.

Thanks
Mark
Locally, as long as all the umpires on the field are wearing the same thing, I wouldn't care which uniform it was and don't know why the local association would care unless they are making money off your purchase of new uniforms. I know guys still wearing the Elbeco shirts with an ASA shoulder patch.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
further reading:

https://forum.officiating.com/softba...-uniforms.html
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-blue View Post

Thanks
Mark
Our commissioner has decided that since we are rebranding as USA Softball, he doesn't want to see the ASA logo on the field. Umpires may wear the new USA Softball logos or plain (no logo) uniforms.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Our commissioner has decided that since we are rebranding as USA Softball, he doesn't want to see the ASA logo on the field. Umpires may wear the new USA Softball logos or plain (no logo) uniforms.
That's an interesting decision. It seems to remove all presence of "ASA" for the USA brand. And then for an option of plain; does that mean you can have a "plain" field and a USA field in the same tournament?

To the best of my knowledge, PA will have the option of the ASA uniforms until 2020, with the option of an ASA field and USA field in the same complex. But don't quote me on that (our meetings are coming up).
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I know guys still wearing the Elbeco shirts with an ASA shoulder patch.
Now I know why it is "slower" Delaware.

And why? Being that those shirts were last made in 2000, how does a shirt hold up with wear and tear for 16 years? I have a GD knit that I bought in 2000 that has sun faded within 10, and a) a much better material than the Elbeco and b) I only wore it for less than 15 games a year between March and May.

As for a) above, don't sell me on how much better those shirts were made or how much better the older generation take care of their gear. Seriously, those shirts cannot look good by any means. As the internet now says: "pics or I don't believe it."
Old Thu Jan 05, 2017, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the link that CecilOne posted, it provided a link to USA's website that had an article on their rebranding.

The article had the following "New, USA Softball umpire branded gear will begin to be phased in beginning in the 2017 season and will become the standard
uniform for USA Softball umpires starting in 2019."

I think this will help guide us in our decision.

Mark
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Now I know why it is "slower" Delaware.

And why? Being that those shirts were last made in 2000, how does a shirt hold up with wear and tear for 16 years? I have a GD knit that I bought in 2000 that has sun faded within 10, and a) a much better material than the Elbeco and b) I only wore it for less than 15 games a year between March and May.

As for a) above, don't sell me on how much better those shirts were made or how much better the older generation take care of their gear. Seriously, those shirts cannot look good by any means. As the internet now says: "pics or I don't believe it."
Being old has nothing to do with taking care of one's uniform. It is more pride than anything else. Toward the end of their use, the Elbeco was a pretty solid shirt, but not as easy to maintain and definitely not a good shirt for the lazy individual. The pullovers do not breath like the Elbeco, but they also don't fall out of the umpire's pants, don't show the sweat as much and definitely dries quicker.

BTW, the part of Delaware that is referred to as "slower" are the counties below the C&D Canal (or "ditch" as we call it).

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Jan 06, 2017 at 11:50am.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Being old has nothing to do with taking care of one's uniform. It is more pride than anything else. Toward the end of their use, the Elbeco was a pretty solid shirt, but not as easy to maintain and definitely not a good shirt for the lazy individual. The original, first generation, pullovers do not breath like the Elbeco, but they also don't fall out of the umpire's pants, don't show the sweat as much and definitely dries quicker.
Fixed it for you. The last ASA shirt (and I'm assuming) the new USAS shirt breathes very well. Also, the pullovers are a bit more accommodating to the, ahem, midsection. While I didn't mind it at the time, those days are well in the past.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...As the internet now says: "pics or I don't believe it."
You want Mike to send you a picture of his closet or do you need one of Mike actually on the field?
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
You want Mike to send you a picture of his closet or do you need one of Mike actually on the field?
I want a picture of his claim of local guys wearing them. I really don't need a picture of him or his closet (although the first one is rather easy to obtain).

My buddy and I did a "throw back" night a few years ago (2011 I think), wearing Elbecos for a slow pitch game. It was well over 10 years (and many a cheesecake) since I had last wore that dreadful shirt. Being that a there was one less letter in the size and my current size . . . well, it was bad. As my buddy said: "it would have better served you to button the top button and wear it like a cape."

Now it seems I'm going to have to worry about the side panels.
Old Fri Jan 06, 2017, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I want a picture of his claim of local guys wearing them. I really don't need a picture of him or his closet (although the first one is rather easy to obtain).

My buddy and I did a "throw back" night a few years ago (2011 I think), wearing Elbecos for a slow pitch game. It was well over 10 years (and many a cheesecake) since I had last wore that dreadful shirt. Being that a there was one less letter in the size and my current size . . . well, it was bad. As my buddy said: "it would have better served you to button the top button and wear it like a cape."

Now it seems I'm going to have to worry about the side panels.
Where did I state the umpires were local to me?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2017, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Alabama is allowing us to wear the "ASA" shirts/hats/ballbags till 2019. I stocked up end of last year. Will need to get USA stuff when we go to Nats.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2017, 12:22am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derwil View Post
Alabama is allowing us to wear the "ASA" shirts/hats/ballbags till 2019. I stocked up end of last year. Will need to get USA stuff when we go to Nats.
I did the Same thing here in So-Cal.

I might buy 1 complete USA uniform if I do a National before 2020
Old Tue Jan 10, 2017, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
I did the Same thing here in So-Cal.

I might buy 1 complete USA uniform if I do a National before 2020
If you can complete a national with just one uniform, you must be calling from the press box.