The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 23, 2016, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyball View Post
I played for over 25 years..played on a team that won a Class B World. When I starting umping I took the same attitude I had when I played. Be prepared, hustle and just try my best to get it right.

What bothered me the most about what happened is that the pitcher who was all over me is the type of player I have zero respect for as a player. The guy was around 6-3 260 who thought he was way better than he was. The guy was all mouth.. could not run, field and was a below average hitter with zero power for his size. The guys was bitching at his teammates when they made an error.

All the mistakes I made were in the first two innings and the game was tied 3-4 in the 4th. Loud mouths team ended up losing 18-7...but it was still all my fault.

Now the next game is starting and while I am talking to the managers/players at home plate he is behind the backstop chirping "Good luck guys...your ump is horrible!" So right away I feel like they already have prejudged me. Then he proceeds to stand behind the backstop for the first inning chirping about every ball or strike I call.

I wanted to stop the game and go berate him about how shitty a player he was!! I was so pissed off.
If this individual is being such a distraction that it is interfering with the game, you need to go to the TD, site supervisor, or whatever the person in charge is titled and ask that he be removed. If there is no such person available, you should have someone available to call. I have found just reaching for my cell phone is often enough to get the person to leave. The worst situation I had required me to call my area supervisor. When I had my conversation with him, I repeated everything he said so the batter and catcher heard what was said, as did the AH who was causing the problems. It was basically along the lines of "You said you want me to call the police if he causes any more problems." He packed his stuff up and left the area of the field, but was still sitting in the parking lot at games end. As I was going to my car I did have my phone in hand ready to make a call if anything was said. Nothing was said and I went on my way.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2016, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

Sorry guys, with my comment, I missed the first sentence of the OP, "a USSSA Slowpitch event. An "event" would obviously have an administrator of some sort on hand (TD, UIC) to address the situation.

I was responding to what I thought was a typical men's league game, where guys from previous games hang and drink and watch the next game. In that situation, there is no way I will work, with some disgruntled slob riding my butt right behind the backstop, without having some recourse.

The game will stop, and the if the guys want to continue, something will be done. I'll let them work out the particulars.

If you say call the cops, call the league president, whatever, fine, do it. That'll take longer than these guys are willing to wait. Believe me, he'll be cleared out before that.