The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

ASA 14U championship game. I am PU. R1 on 3B. Batter walks. Defensive teams coaches start yelling "Throw it back to pitcher ". I mean loudly and all at once. Runner rounds first, apparently they always do this with a runner on 3B, now the Defensive coaches are screaming hesitation. At this point pitcher just standing there, runner goes back to 1B and coaches screaming 'Hesitation" ,very chaotic scene. I believe done on purpose. Runner on 1B now leaves the base , stops, returns to 1B again, pitcher now throws to 1B, 1B drops the ball and runner scoots to 2B. Defensive team runner hesitated and should be called out. BU is on like his 8th game of day and didn't see it LOL. So being a 1st year ump and really not too confident of the rule i agree with the defensive coach and call the runner on 2B out.

I know this is long but I think I explained it how it went down. please give me feedback so I don't mess this one up again.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2005, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

every runner is allowed 1 stop, so after the walk the runner can round 1st base, stop, but must immediately (judgement) go to 2nd or back to 1st. if in umps judgement her action is not immediate then that a violation of the look back rule. there is no 'hesitation' rule. now when the runner left 1st base a 2nd time and the pitcher had the ball in the circle then bam ya got a dead ball and the runner is out. in that case make sure you keep the runner who was at 3rd on 3rd. keep in mind the lookback rule doesnt go into affect for other runners until the BR actually reaches 1st base.