The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Rule in nfhs is 7-5-4-1. This rule says if no play is obvious, doesn't mention making an out. In my play, no play was obvious, however, should have placed runners back to bases at time of interference.
The way I learned about INT was that if called, the ball was immediately dead, and SOMEBODY was going to be out.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Actually, the ODB does not have approved functions. The rule (7.1.C) simply permits the ODB to leave the circle, it provides no additional protection and the ODB still cannot interfere with the defense attempting to make an out.

I agree, it doesn't seem to be INT. However, the ODB is not a player engaged in the game and meets the definition of a blocked ball.
I read ASA 7.1-C(2) and NFHS 7-5-3-b, stating they may leave the on-deck circle to direct runners advancing to home plate, as permission to be there, and acting in the same function as a base coach. And, like a base coach, they cannot interfere.

But that permission to 1) be on the field, 2) leave the on-deck circle, and 3) perform an approved function tells me two things, at least:

A) Unlike the ASA case play referenced above, this person is somewhere they are permitted to be; not someone required to be in the dugout but affecting live ball play, and

B) How/why would we reference a blocked ball rule that applies to offensive items NOT permitted in live ball territory?

Absent a case play, or a specific rule citation, I do not believe this is a dead ball scenario; the ODB has permission to be there, doing exactly what the ODB was doing, did nothing to interfere, did not interfere, and did nothing intentional to be considered even an attempt to interfere with the opportunity to make an out (or play). Acting in an approved (base coach) function, the offense shouldn't be penalized for the misplay by the defense.

That's my opinion, anyway; and I don't see a clear rule cite that contradicts.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 05:55pm
High Five Master

Interesting to hear all the opinions on this. In the game, I told the defensive coach I saw it hit odb but it didn't affect anything do it was a play on. I am glad some agree that was a correct call. Not that it matters but coach just said, okay, just asking if you saw it hit her".

I've not checked the case book and its in my car right now. Will try to check it as well.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Steve,

Looking at what you and Tru_in_Blu said, this would be a live ball. Looking at every citation in the ASA book related to on-deck batter, they only call a dead ball & runner out if actual interference with the ability to make an out. No citation calls for a blocked ball call. So let me ask you a follow up questions:.

lets say the ball hits the ODB the same way as in the original post with no play obvious at the time and the secondary runner was all the way back at the 3rd base bag. Now the ball deflects off the ODB and skips away allowing the runner to score. if the ball hadn't hit the ODB, it would have stopped at the backstop and catcher would flip to the pitcher. Maybe get the out or maybe runner doesn't attempt to come home. What would we have in this situation? It sounds like form your post that the ODB had a right to be there, did not interfere, so now we have a live ball which could lead to another run.

I'm not arguing with you, just following the thought through and i can't find a rule citation to counter you with. But i don't like the idea that an ODB can get close enough to get hit by a errant ball and not be penalized.

Thanks

Last edited by josephrt1; Thu Aug 25, 2016 at 12:17am.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2016, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I read ASA 7.1-C(2) and NFHS 7-5-3-b, stating they may leave the on-deck circle to direct runners advancing to home plate, as permission to be there, and acting in the same function as a base coach. And, like a base coach, they cannot interfere.
Yet 8.7.O provides a specific exception from interference by a coach. No such exemptions exist for an ODB

Quote:
But that permission to 1) be on the field, 2) leave the on-deck circle, and 3) perform an approved function tells me two things, at least:

A) Unlike the ASA case play referenced above, this person is somewhere they are permitted to be; not someone required to be in the dugout but affecting live ball play, and

B) How/why would we reference a blocked ball rule that applies to offensive items NOT permitted in live ball territory?
Well, that is not what the ASA rule states. A ball is blocked if it touches a person not engaged in the game. IMO, that is an active participant such as defensive player in the field, a runner, a batter-runner, a batter and the umpires. It does not include any person not required to be on in playable territory which includes coaches, ODB, bat person, ball person, bullpen occupants (if in playable territory), media, etc.

Quote:
Absent a case play, or a specific rule citation I do not believe this is a dead ball scenario; the ODB has permission to be there, doing exactly what the ODB was doing, did nothing to interfere, did not interfere, and did nothing intentional to be considered even an attempt to interfere with the opportunity to make an out (or play). Acting in an approved (base coach) function, the offense shouldn't be penalized for the misplay by the defense.

That's my opinion, anyway; and I don't see a clear rule cite that contradicts.
For those not participating in the game, there are specific allowances for coaches and media personnel should the accidentally be contacted by a live ball. There are no such exception for the others I have noted. If they were considered "engaged" with the game, why is there a need for a specific rule to cover these exceptions?

And, like Steve, that is my opinion and I don't see a clear rule cite that contradicts.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2016, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, that is not what the ASA rule states. A ball is blocked if it touches a person not engaged in the game. IMO, that is an active participant such as defensive player in the field, a runner, a batter-runner, a batter and the umpires. It does not include any person not required to be on in playable territory which includes coaches, ODB, bat person, ball person, bullpen occupants (if in playable territory), media, etc.
Did this forum previously conclude [ASA] that an ODB must be present? I don't have my book handy, but doesn't 7.1 use "shall" when referring to the ODB?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2016, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
Did this forum previously conclude [ASA] that an ODB must be present? I don't have my book handy, but doesn't 7.1 use "shall" when referring to the ODB?
The rule does say "shall". However, as a matter of game management, I refuse to hold up a game with a pitcher and batter that are ready because an on-deck batter isn't. And, I am frustrated whenever I see another umpire that does wait, because I think that is an absurd requirement. I'm pretty sure at some point I was directed by ASA NUS that the rule was meant to be interpreted to mean that IF there was an on-deck batter, that person must be in the on-deck circle.

I also umpire games at sites where there simply isn't a safe place for an on-deck batter to stand; should I refuse to continue unless a player puts herself at risk?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2016, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
The book may read "shall", but it is incorrect. Should probably read "may".

It is an unenforceable rule simply because not all fields can safely accommodate such an area. And some fields simply do not have ODC, but provide an area outside the fence near the dugout and I'm certainly not going looking to see if player not of active stature is occupying a particular space