View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 23, 2016, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Here is a question from 2016 ASA exam, Q7. Kind of similar to the question posed in this thread. The correct answer was D, dead ball, return runners. I think the question posed here is the same. In both Q7 and the question here, the offensive player was not where they are supposed to be. The ODB is allowed to "coach" at home plate but at 8 feet from the plate I want her to be alert and mobile. Getting hit by a throw at 8 feet, even if somewhat errant, I still think i have a blocked (dead) ball. If she were in the ODcircle, I would give more leeway. But I have not had to make this call on the field.

Q7 2016ASA: With no outs, R1 on 2B, R2 on 1B, B3 hits an uncaught line drive to left field. R1 rounds 3B, R2 rounds 2B and looks at F7’s throw that goes over F6’s head and is heading toward the 1B dugout. Seeing the overthrow R1 advances toward home, R2 advances toward 3B and the batter runner toward 2B. Prior to any runner touching the next base the ball contacts an offensive team member sitting in the dugout on a bucket with their feet in live ball territory, there is no defensive player in the area that would be capable of making an out.
a. Umpire signals and verbalizes “Dead ball” and awards both R1 and R2 home and the BR 3B since the ball would have entered dead ball territory had it not hit the offensive player.
b. Umpire should let play continue since the ball bounced off the offensive player and remained in live ball territory.
c. Umpire signals and verbalizes “Dead ball” and rules R1 (the runner closest to home is out) due to interference by an offensive player.
d. Umpire signals and verbalizes “Dead ball” and returns all runners to the last base touched at the time of the blocked ball.

There was also Q2 on 2016 ASA exam where runner scored and while on her way to dugout was hit by errant throw. Similar situation based on ump judgement if interference or not. I actually had this happen a while back and I let that one play on. Runner who scored was returning to dugout, away from plate area and throw was very wild and hit her from the side. In this case she was doing what she was supposed to and i kept ball live.

But these all have nuance and are HTBT type situations.

Last edited by josephrt1; Tue Aug 23, 2016 at 05:53pm.