The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 08, 2016, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

thought about that... seems to me the violation happens when she breaks contact:

In the extreme, say she backs up 3 steps as the ball's coming down, and times it to be stepping on the back the instant the ball is first touched, running at full speed. Absurd of course, but it is the whole point of the rule.
You'd be calling her out 3 steps back, right?

In my case, she was only 4-5 inches back, but that's when the violation occurred.

And I'm wrong... I didn't call her out when she lifted her foot. I decided to call her out when she lifted her foot. I was too busy being astounded that I'm about to call this obscure ruling for the 1st time in my career

I hope I wouldn't have called it if she didn't take off... we'll never know

BTW, does the rule allow for that caveat?
Old Wed Jun 08, 2016, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Honestly (not that it mattered), but if you did that, I believe you were premature. Things could have happened after that instant that would render the offense no longer an offense. (Most significantly, the runner not going home)
I pulled the book out and looked at the rule...the wording of the rule does bring up some questions, so for the sake of discussion.....

What if the fly ball is not caught? Is this still a violation? The rule seems to suggest that it would be.

What if the runner takes the running start, hits the base after the fly ball is first touched, but only advances a few steps trying to draw a bad throw? Is this still a violation?
Old Wed Jun 08, 2016, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
What if the fly ball is not caught? Is this still a violation? The rule seems to suggest that it would be.

What if the runner takes the running start, hits the base after the fly ball is first touched, but only advances a few steps trying to draw a bad throw? Is this still a violation?
I say yes to both. The fly ball part is really irrelevant, any behind a base running start in any running sitch is this rule.
Old Wed Jun 08, 2016, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Just for giggles, please check the NSA rule book (I don't have one, don't do that association); is it defined as one of the designated "appeals" in the rule book, does it say that in this specific rule (rather than being added as an additional appeal); or were you simply told to treat it that way?

I only ask, not to doubt you (I don't know you); it seems like a stupid cause to create a major rules adjustment to the defined "appeals".
NSA has wed this to the rule requiring a runner to tag up prior to advancing on a caught fly ball and the effect requires an appeal
Old Wed Jun 08, 2016, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I pulled the book out and looked at the rule...the wording of the rule does bring up some questions, so for the sake of discussion.....

Not a question, rule is specific that it applies on "any fly ball".

Quote:

And yes. As noted above, the effect is out when this occurs on any fly ball